Can't taste like duck

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Pro Guide 99, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Pro Guide 99

Pro Guide 99 New Member

I need help finding a recipe (or marinade) that masks the taste of duck enough so that it doesn't taste like duck! Yeah, I know...what's the point! Like many of you, my girlfriend doesn't like duck, so I'm always searching for new recipes that she'll like. I've heard of soaking the duck breasts in milk....anyone try that, and does it work?

Thanks in advance

2. Adduckted

Adduckted Elite Refuge Member

Breast em out and put the breast in a ziploc bag. cover them with water, press all the air out and seal it. Freeze the package. The water penetrates the breast, pushing out the blood and freezing it tenderizes it. You can keep them this way for a yr.

Thaw them out, soak the breasts (ducks not the GF's) in italian dressing over night. wrap in bacon , throw in an onion and jalapeno and grill till medium. If their done right it will taste like a beef fillet.

You have to get all the skin and fat off the meath though or its gonna taste gamey. If you grill it till its done, it will taste like liver.

3. nemont

nemont Elite Refuge Member

This one is simple, fast and it tastes good.

Duck with Horseradish Cream Sauce

4 – 6 duck breast half fillets, skin removed
    salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons prepared (not creamed) horseradish
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced (optional)

Season breasts with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown breasts on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip breasts over. Cook for 1 minute more. Add wine and garlic and stir into pan to loosen bits of duck. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove duck and let stand for 2 minutes while finishing sauce. Stir remaining ingredients except parsley into pan and cook for 2 minutes. Slice duck, spoon sauce over and top with parsley.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Here is another fanastic one

Duck with Bourbon Cream Sauce

CAUTION: When you add bourbon to the pan, it may ignite! Slowly pour the bourbon into the pan without sticking your big head over the pan. Wait a few minutes for the alcohol to burn off.

6 – 8 duck breast halves, skin intact or removed
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup red onion, diced
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
    1/4 cup bourbon
    1/3 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Liberally season duck breasts with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breasts, skin side down and cook until seared to medium brown, about 3 minutes. Flip breasts over and cook other side for 2 minutes more. Remove breasts and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Add garlic, onion and brown sugar to the pan. Stir to blend and cook while stirring for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in beef broth and reduce liquid by one-half. Add bourbon very carefully (see CAUTION above) and cook for 2 minutes more. Add cream and cook until sauce is thickened. Return duck breasts to the pan to warm, but do not cook past medium-rare. Remove breasts, slice diagonally into 1/4-inch slices and spoon sauce over.

Don’t forget…if you overcook your ducks, they won’t taste good.

4. 1 bottle Italian Dressing
    1 bottle BBQ Sauce
    A little vinegar

Put in your bowl and mix well to ensure the get blended. Put in meat and allow to soak 4 hours (overnight is optimal). You dont even need to wrap them in bacon with this recipe.

5. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

Too many CHICKEN recipes to list.

6. MarshMonger

MarshMonger Senior Refuge Member

find yourself a recipe for chicken franchaise and supplement the duck....you can also do marsala style....a lot of the italian chicken recipes make duck top notch. I ALWAYS pound the meat a little to tenderize and think it a bit...you can also butterfly your duck which will allow it to cook through faster and wont sear as much on the outside.

Buttermilk is great for initial treatment...it will draw out blood and some gamey taste, I soak at least 24 hours in that case then rinse and use or freeze immediately.

7. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

Here is my favorite.
    Go to the sea food section and get the TEMPURA batter mix. Its used for battering shrimp. Also pick up a can of beer.
    Now take your duck breast and cut them in finger steaks the thinner the better.
    Next mix your beer in the batter mix until its thin enough to run but thick enough to stay on your finger steaks.

Now put a the duck into a 1/2 inch of hot oil and deep fry it. Cook it until the batter turns a good golden brown. We usually have homemade fries with it. I will gaurentee everyone will eat it as fast as you can cook it.

Oh and for dip we mix maynays(or how ever you spell it),katchup and horseratish. Kind of a fry sause.

Let me know how you like it.

8. Lilly's Dad

Lilly's Dad Senior Refuge Member

Try buttermilk, not milk. The extra acidity of the buttermilk will help tenderize the meat.

9. AV8R

AV8R Senior Refuge Member

I soaked teal in salt water for 3 days. Then grilled to rare and served on rice with sauteed mushrooms. It was the best duck I've ever had. I thought they all tasted like liver till I started reading this forum.
    Wish I'd figured that out 15 years ago.

BTWserve with red wine.

10. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

It won't be cheap, but I've seen more than a few Chinese restuarants that will cook up a full course meal, if you provide the meat.

Might be something to look into.