Cape Coral Duck hunting opportunities

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Neverfail, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Neverfail

Neverfail Refuge Member

I may be moving down to the Cape Coral area this year. Just wondering what duck hunting opportunities are available within a 1 to 1.5 hour drive. I have a 14' duck water boat with blind and a 20hp on back. Plenty of decoys and all the other equipment needed for ducks and geese. I currently live in NJ. We kill a fair amount of ducks and geese. I was just wondering what I can expect down there. I've been chasing waterfowl for 40 years. I'm still as excited to hunt as the first day I went with my dad. Please let me know. Thanks Mark

2. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Definitely the Big O (Lake Okeechobee). You will have a lifetime of scouting and ducking. You won't need the goose decoys.:D Mostly ringbills, teal, woodies, mottleds. When you go be prepared: GPS, lights, requisite safety gear. Low water times it gets tricky. Moore Haven will be your destination. PM me for future info.:tu

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Goose decoys(especially snows) are easily turned into Blackbelly or Fulvous tree duck decoys...don't get rid of them.

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Neverfail, forgot to mention that the Florida Wildlife Commission site( myfwc.com) has a lot of info on WMA's and general hunting info with frequent updates. I also recommend United Waterfowlers of Florida and their website (unitedwaterfowlersfl.org; lots of good folks and good info- especially after becoming a member ($25/year). We have teal season at the end of September that last year was expanded in days and limits. I bet there are some Florida west coast duck hunting opportunities near you.

5. DR. MOSSBERG

DR. MOSSBERG Refuge Member

Neverfail
    purchased home 2 years ago in Punta Gorda area for winter hibernation. Hunted area plus lake O last 2 years. met up with some fellow duck hunters and they have been more than helpful and accommodating. Plan to head down after xmas with new boat set up for salt water hunting and would welcome opportunity to share what I've learned and even get together and hunt if your interested. Same as you I have enjoyed this sport for more than 40 years as well.

6. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Congrats,
    You just moved to the hidden secret for duck hunting. We do pretty decent but it’s a lot different than what your used to. Our ducks have seen every blind and just about every trick along that long journey.
    I would start this off as well with telling you that your rig is not the best for Florida. You are really going to need to transmission over to a mud motor or a ultra-jack combo. With that in mind your best boat to sell a rig like yours in where you are at. I have everything from widgeon to 15 foot TDB’s and I can tell you that they look cool and work well on open water but that about it down here.
    We have much more marsh and back waters areas to hunt that the need for such a boat. Now some of the guys up in the gulf may be interested in it but I would think it’s a VERY limited group.
    You are in a very neat little area where you are moving. A lot of coastal area to play with some nice little hidden inland areas and you’re not too far from the STA’s either. Good luck to you. Make sure you join United Waterfowlers of Florida. They have their own forums and the membership of just 25$ a year is WELL worth the networking.
    Nash

7. Blind on my boat

Blind on my boat New Member

Do you still hunt in this area I am moving to Rotonda area and would like find duck spots in this area ! Have you hunted the port Charlotte area ? Any help would be great. Thank you for your time .

8. tmetz

tmetz New Member

I hunt here 3-4 days a week during season, I wouldn’t call it a Waterfowl Mecca as a member above stated. Past few years have been awful, can’t expect much with water heights being unpredictable for public land, most good hunting includes a 1.5-2 hr drive. Lake O has the best hunting oppurtunities with a good selection of birds. Although right now it’s pushing 16’ deep so this season could be done before it starts. Hope your ready to play in the land of big alligators and cotton mouths, always be ready because you will lose downed birds to gators now and again part of being in the marsh in Florida.

9. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Lake O....Over 17 feet.....!!

There are Scaup in Charlotte harbor....Tampa bay....and points north.

We used to have a bunch here in the Indian river....but last year was a stinker