Caribou.....

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by honkertonk, Aug 29, 2006.

1. honkertonk

honkertonk Senior Refuge Member

Any one have anything for caribou?? I leave next week on a hunt and was wondering if anyone has anything besides my usual steaks on the grill?

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

First off- i would never eat ANY Boo the first day--it can get oyu sick if Rigor ain't set in- call me slow,stupid, etc BUT after 25 yrs of chasing them that's feel for it.
    Secondly BOO ain't moose or elk or mulie or whitetail- ranks after them on my eating list---I'd cut BS and better leg cutsie inside and outside rounds into fairly large roast size pieces and then freeze them- When you want some either Grille them whole to medium rare or medium and then slice thinly- I'd rub them with oil and either tony's or some other rub first.
    also tougher cuts make good sausage or jerky- what I'm saying is use them about like the above mentioned but IMHO they are not as good- maybe I had too much for too long.

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Senior Refuge Member

Caribou Brekfast sausage rules. The meat I've had was pretty dry because there is very little fat in the meat, you have to leave the fat layer net to the skin on the meat when you cook it. Have a good hunt!

4. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

My experiences with eating caribou would put it equal with elk and moose and above deer. But I was eating young animals not big bulls. I treated it just like any other venison and subbed it in deer recipes and moose recipes etc.

5. WildCanuck

WildCanuck Elite Refuge Member

I'd take a cariboo steak over a mulie steak any day, doe or buck!

6. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Back when I went to school in upstate NY we used to go to buddies home in Lake Placid to ski and chase COEDS from that Harvard of the North-- lotta fun but dat's about 50 yrs ago so me memory is most likely a bit fuzzy EH?
    I'll trade anyone Boo for Whitetail any time.