Minnesota Flyway Forum Sponsors

Carlos Avery

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Ranger6, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Senior Refuge Member

I just moved to Minnesota and trying to find a place to duck hunt. I did a little scouting at Carlos Avery WMA this morning. Hard to get a feel for it. It appears to be one huge cattail Marsh without much standing water. I saw very few ducks using the area as well. Any thoughts on this area or recommendations not looking for anyone’s honeyhole just trying to get started. I have not been able to duck hunt the last three years due to military obligations and I am looking forward to getting back into waterfowl hunting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. canbustn

canbustn Senior Refuge Member

Hi Tom,

Going goose hunting this weekend. Feel free to join us. PM me and I will be more than happy to show you around. Did you end up moving to Grant?

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member

Stop at the Headquarters and talk things over with the DNR person there & they can better steer you.
    Also, I believe they may have a few lottery drawings for blinds on some of the pools, and there could be some
    military and youth preference.

Ringbill

4. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

It was a great place to hunt 20 years ago and I had some great hunts. I went back a few years ago and it has become beyond a zoo. Also, the duck numbers were not even close to what they had been in the late 90's. Who knows maybe you can still have good hunting. I know you will want a boat to get away from the zoo of people though.