Carlson 20 gauge extended steel choke question

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Oct 24, 2017.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I am looking to buy some Carlson etended choke tubes for a Weaterby SA-08.
    I want to buy an improved cylinder, light modified and modified.
    When I look on web sites I gest steered to their chokes that are marketed as Waterfowl chokes for close, mid range, and long range. I think the long range is an improved modified which I do not want.
    Not sure why it is hard to just buy improved cylinder, light modified, and modified in steel rated, extended chokes. Anyone else work through this?
    Maybe I will have to call Carlsons and talk to a sales rep.

Thanks

2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Just buy the extended black or stainless at carlsons or trulock, they are good. Skip the waterfowl labels

3. California Flyway

Here is a link to the Carlson choke for Weatherby (note they are the same as winchester)
    Can you tell me which of their chokes is a light modified for my 20 gauge?
    They use the terms close range mid range and long range. Mid range to me could be a light modified or modified. I want a light modified and a modified.
    It used to be easier than this.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details-R.php?Weatherby-Choke-Tubes&mf=9

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Look at their Sporting Clays tubes. That is what I use in my 20ga.

Our Sporting Clays Choke Tubes are made from 17-4 stainless and precision machined to produce a choke tube that patterns better than standard choke tubes. These choke tubes feature a 25% larger parallel section in the choke thus throwing more consistent patterns than conventional choke tubes. Each choke tube is knurled on the end to allow for quick and easy removal. Each choke tube has the constriction laser marked on the end for easy reference. These choke tubes are backed by our lifetime warranty.

Lead shot, Steel Shot, Copperplated Shot, Nickel Shot, Hevi-Shotshells™, and Buck Shot can be used in our Sporting Clay Choke Tubes. Steel shot larger than BB should not be used in any Sporting Clays Choke Tube tighter than Full Constriction. Our Sporting Clays Choke Tubes will throw tighter/denser patterns than Flush Mount Choke Tubes due to a longer parallel section.

http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-product-details-R.php?Weatherby-Choke-Tubes&mf=9#Sporting Clays Choke Tubes

5. California Flyway

Thanks Native, it looks like the only way you can get a steel rated, extended in light modified is as you suggested, a sporting clays choke.
    I do not generally like the short, factory, winchester/weatherby flush tubes.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Well, I have 2 skeets, IC, Lt Mod, Mod, Imp Mod, and Full. The full is just for practice on the Clays field. Not ever going to run BB's in my 20 anyway, so the warning is moot. I like em.

7. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

8. TwistyTorn

TwistyTorn New Member

I also have the extended sporting clays 20 ga chokes in IC and LM. This is my second year with them and they've been great--both pattern and durability-wise. I've shot some B's thru them, but mostly 3's.

9. dla

dla Senior Refuge Member

Get an extended .605" LM stainless - rattlecan it black.

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Think the only way your going to get a Light Modified is order the Sporting Clays tube, the waterfowl packs are usually I/C, Mod and Full.