Carlson Extended Steel Mid Range Choke Tube

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by pintailhunter, Jan 30, 2008.

1. pintailhunter

pintailhunter Senior Refuge Member

Have any of you ever used one of these? What do you think of them. I am thinking of getting one for my Benelli Nova but want to know what other peoples experience has been with these.

2. yogibear

yogibear Senior Refuge Member

I have the close and mid range that I run in my Nova - and like them both. The close is like an IC, and the mid is close to a modified. I would recommend these chokes for a Nova.

3. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

I have the Mid Range Choke and the Long Range Choke. I shoot both in a Nova. The Mid Range is a Modified, and the Long Range is a Full.

(The Close Range is an Improved Cylinder)

I am very happy with the patterns I get with the Mid Range Choke shooting #4, #2, and BB Steel. It is going to be my full time choke for Steel Shot. The Long Range Choke shoots #4 Steel well, and patterns Buckshot well.

4. BPDUCKMAN

BPDUCKMAN Refuge Member

I shoot the carlson .720 out of a SBE and I love it. The choke loves #1 and BBs
    I also have a Terror choke that is there open choke which is the same as a extended-range in Carlson. It is to tight for my liking. I shot 10 shells through it. If you hit a duck at 25 yds there cant be nothing left of it. It shoots a very impressive pattern at 50yds with #2 and #3. I will take $60 for it delivered. It is a $85 choke delivered. You cant beat a carlson choke in my book I am just concerned about the strength of their tighter chokes. The Carlson is just not as meaty as the Terror. The .720 is fine though. Have read complaints about the tight chokes locking up is some guns. This has to be because of the lack of strength in some of the brands of Tubes. But cant prove it.

5. Mallard Machete

Mallard Machete Elite Refuge Member

The Mid Range .705 Modified Choke will be my do-it-all choke for Steel Shot. The patterns were much more evenly dispersed.

The Extended Range .695 Choke would throw one tight dense group of pellets and a bunch of flyers with big holes in the pattern when using #2 and BB Steel. #4 Steel shot fine in the Full Choke though. I like the Full Choke better for 3" 000 Buck. It put all 10 pellets in @ a 12"-15" circle at 40 yards.

6. Jbuckmark

Jbuckmark Senior Refuge Member

I shoot the Carlson's extended range (full choke) in my Super Nova. I use Federal Speed Shok 3 inch BB's and had very nice even patterns at 40 yards with it. In the field it is the kiss of death for geese. Carlson's warranties their chokes for life with any size of shot. The problems that people seem to be having sticking their chokes are with ones with tighter constrictions like the .675 Terror. I like the them enough that I am going to buy a set for my Browning O/U. Just for your information, the extended steel shoot chokes are the same as their sporting clays except with a black finish. If you want a black choke that is not offered in the steel choke line as far as constriction, it can be ordered as from the Tom Knapp signature series chokes, which are off course made by Carlson's as well.