Carlson Thin wall choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

i recently just bought another Carlson thin wall choke tube for my Auto 5. I've been shooting 3" #2 Kent and Remington Nitro through an IM .705, with good results. I shot some of the cheaper Winchester Xperts and the Remington Sportsman in #2 and they patterned better than the pricier ammo. I also tried #3 in the xperts and sportsman and as far as pellet count goes they were the best yet. I tried an IC and it did pretty good with the #3 but, the #2 were not near as good as the IM. I'm going to buy another Carlson choke either a modified or light modified and pattern it with these same loads. These chokes are labeled "steel or lead" so, when labeled IM, is it IM lead and Full steel or IM steel and Modified lead?

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

3. Sunklands

That's them. They only offer two models that are compatible for steel shot. One is an extended tube and the other is a flush mount. I can get the flush mount chokes for $18 and the IM I've been shooting patterns several loads well. There's a big difference in pellet count from #2 to #3, with that said how much more energy does a #2 have? Not trying to stretch the 12 as much as possible but trying to achieve the best killing pattern out to 40'.

4. Sunklands

I'm wanting to get my hands on some Remington 2.75" Sportsman High-Speed or Nitro Mag. In 2.75", what would be your shot size choice for birds at 30'ish?

5. 10GAGENUT

2's at 1500 -1600 fps will usually kill ducks out to 45 yards with no problems, problem with the Experts is they shot isn't all that round and may not carry as far as better shot such as in the Remington loads.
    At 30 yards I can get away with 4's no problem, 3's should do it easily. I have plenty of 1 1/16 oz loads made up with 4's and 3's they go anywhere from 1580 -1610 fps, deadly on ducks.

Sunklands likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Like Joe , the 1 1/16 oz of 3's do a great job for me also , even tho I don't push them as fast with 1475 +or- fps they pattern well out of my guns .
    I find a .725 constriction to work well (over decoys) on large ducks but if birds hang outside that 35 yd mark , I screw-in the .712 in my over bored
    Brownings .
    You won't know until you try a few on the patterning board but with lower recoil and just enough pellets to get the job done , 1 1/16 oz sure is fun to shoot !

7. Sunklands

Are you talking about 2.75" handloads or factory?

8. 10GAGENUT

Handloads, been shooting them for years.

9. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

You can’t shoot steel through true choke thin wall, you can with true choke standard

10. Sunklands

IMG_3525.PNG Their website says different. There's a couple different "thin walls".

Attached Files: