Carlson Thin wall choke

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sunklands, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

They're not advertised "thin wall" on the website, as the other two choke styles are. These are called, "flush mount" and are compatible with steel or lead. They mic out the same as the others, on I.D., O.D. and thread pitch.

2. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

there is a Tru-Choke reamer that will cut for .795” diameter choke tubes at 44 TPI and a Tru-Choke Thin Wall reamer that cuts .775” at 44 TPI for thin barrels. The Tru-Choke will accept Tru-Choke choke tubes, while the thin wall will only accept the Tru-Choke Thin Wall Tubes.

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Mr. D... good to hear from you !!

4. Sunklands

5. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Well that pretty much gets it said.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I simply look at the construction when I'm choosing to choke.
    Different companies label their chokes in different manners... I generally like to go by the amount of constriction of the choke as compared to the bore.

I would consider an I.C. as 0.010 constriction over the bore and an IM as 0.025 constriction over the bore... Steel or lead.

As far as pellet sizes, with no wind, #4 steel kills quite well out to 40 yards if the vitals are showing. My setup with no wind is to start off with a #4 in the chamber followed by #3's in the magazine... Generally my first shots are closer, or at least the vitals are showing on a longer poke.

I primarily shoot ducks. LM is my choke of choice in most cases (hunting open water with shots generally ranging from 30-40 yards), and I.C. in tighter cover (with shots ranging from 20-35 yards). I tend not to take longer shots in tighter cover, simply due to the fact that recovery of the birds is far more difficult, and that birds tend to work in to better range in smaller tight ponds.

With a stout wind, I drop down to #2's due to the wind pushing around that smaller shot more easily. I have been at it a few years, and enjoy hunting in the wind, but hate shooting in it... I have still not figured out how to shoot in the wind, and my shell count dramatically increases on windy days.

7. Sunklands

I bought a couple more Carlson thin wall, flush mount chokes the other day. Now I have a Full, IM, M, LM, and IC. I put a micrometer on all of them and they all tend to run .003-.005" tighter than advertised.

8. 10GAGENUT

Should be good for some HD loads to try though.

9. Sunklands

As you already know I still use the Belgian barrel for shooting steel shot. I choose to shoot no shot larger than #2 and haven't had any ill effects in 18 years of using this gun. For years I shot a Hastings modified choke and I believe Carlson bought out the Hastings line some years back. The Carlson used the same diameters I believe and definitely used the same thread count. When guys talk about steel or hevishot damaging a barrel, whether it be an old Belgian Browning, old Remington, or old Winchester, it seems to me because of wad design, that the only area that might show any fatigue would be the fixed choked end (roughly 2")of the barrel. By me removing the fixed choke end of my Belgian barrel and tapping it to accommodate a steel/hevishot safe choke and shooting shot #2 and smaller, basically made the barrel steel shot compatible? Providing I stay away for excess pressure handloads.

10. 10GAGENUT

You didn't really make it steel shot safe so much as you haven't gone goofy on shot size or loads to damage the barrel which seems to be the key. People start doing damage when they try to shoot large sized shot, you haven't.
    I doubt #4 HD loads will damage anything in your gun.