Carrington Area

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Capt. John Stieben, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Capt. John Stieben

Capt. John Stieben Refuge Member

Going out to the Carrington area in a couple of weeks or so, any ideas on bigger waters in that area that might be goof during the migration times. Not asking for you hotspot but is this a good area that time of the year or is Devils or other big water areas better choices.

Thanks for any info.

2. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Your not going to get any information on the internet. North Dakota is crowded now and nobody is going to tell you of a good area they hunt. That being said if it is a well known area like Devils Lake that usually means you will see some crowds of people. Your best bet is to pick and area and get a plots book.

3. Capt. John Stieben

I will rephrase my questions, in a typical year do the larger lakes in that are generally hold divers?

As far as crowded, first three day on the non resident opener 2017 we seen two other trucks and both of them were like us done hunting and bored and driving around for the heck of it, and that was within the easiest drive ever of one of your largest cities. I hope that defines "crowded" in WI, NE and TX this year, NOT, when we are there hunting. I get it if your 15 miles from downtown Devils Lake yes, and chasing the geese to unposted field, but looking at the commerce these hunters bring to town you could lock the door in most if hunters did not arrive. At least hunters buy and pay taxes on every old house in these little towns, otherwise they would be vacant.

4. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

Devils area is locked up with at least 2 guides controlling the north, east and west side. Reservation on the south side. Get 40 miles on either side and it gets slightly easier. Other issue is deer hunting opens 11/10. There is still a few 10k-15k acres that isn't posted. Plus a sprinkle of plots lands most of which is drying up. You just never know until you get there what conditions will be unless you have a good source. I'd say with dry conditions big water is where it would be at this year. The big lake should be loaded!!! I've only hunted the carrington farea once for spring snows. The arrowhead refuge holds lots of birds and there are some nice plots lands around it and a little less posting of land but not much less than Devils. Best of luck! Aim small

5. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Captain:

Why ask questions when you a apparently know all the answers.:z

By the way ... It would take more than a couple of trucks of hunters to keep a town viable.:scratch

Maybe you were driving around for the heck of it ... but most seasoned NoDak waterfowlers would call that scouting. :doh

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    duck dawg and DuckznGeez like this.
  6. Capt. John Stieben

Sorry I asked or even posted, but thanks to all that private messaged me! I just was looking for some general information for later n the year in which I have not been to that area at that time of year.

BTW- whatever you call driving around we were not moving we hunted the same spot same blind all three days, and we have since '99, so it was driving around for the heck of it for us.

7. recker999

I know good old Kyle Blanchfield is one of those guides. Not sure who the other one is.

8. recker999

Well I do not think there are quite as many non residents going as say 10 years ago. I think all the posted land scared alot of people off but I do know during the peak they had 30,000 non resident hunters. I have heard plenty of hunters talk about areas that are not Devils Lake and say all the land is locked up and you will have five or six parties all trying to get on the same field for a hunt.

9. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

\

yes good ole Kyle is one and now top gun guide service is there. locals in town are pissed with how few waterfowl hunters are there this year. their either waiting on the migration or were turned away because of the dryer conditions or just fed up with posted land.... who knows but i do know that the guides are literally shooting themselves in the foot. when you lock up all the land then more guys hunt the accessible water. this in turn can cause roosts to be busted and then they suffer on their field hunt that they had scouted out plus pushing more birds out early with having their roosts continually assaulted. Its a double edge sword and if the area gets dryer they wont be in business very long. here's to hoping!!

10. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Top Gun has been there for some time ... unsure if / how they have expanded. They must have resident people helping them ... getting a ND Outfitter License is (was?) not an easy endeavor.

If you lock up the right land you can lock up the roosts.