Decoy Forum Sponsors

Carry Lite 42 inch super mags

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by PorkChop, Oct 26, 2018.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

I cannot remember the last time I have seen anybody using them. I realized they do not make them anymore but where do you think they all went to? Guys have them in a barn, shed, storage bins? Did they all blow away? Surely there has to be a stock pile of them somewhere. I would not mind getting my hands on a dozen feeders.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That carrylite plastic cracks and crumbles in heat or sunlight. I would say most of them made it to landfills.

3. PorkChop

I had them for years and had no such problems. Still have three dozen duck floaters that my dad bought when I was a preteen and I am in my 40s. The only issues I ever had was the paint did not stick very well. I regret selling the 42 inchers I had

4. Billy Bob

I lost a lot of mallard and goose decoys but the wigeon, cans, redheads and teal all held up and I still have most of them. A mix of new and used bought from 1984 to 1986. A friend had some of those 42" and we used to put one on top of his golden retriever when field hunting. They were great for hiding gear too. We use to cover ourselves with mudded burlap and put a shell over our heads so we could call without being seen and look out from under them, I suppose people doing that is where the idea for the goose chair came from..

PorkChop likes this.
  5. PorkChop

Yep we used to lay on our belly and put the decoy over our body and look out the backside of the goose. I saw an ad today on Facebook where a guy was selling some of the goose chairs and that is what triggered my post. I always thought that the goose chairs with the decoy on them were too high. Also did not like the angle the decoy was in. It made me think of my childhood and how we used to do it with the 42s and I want my kids to experience it.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Senior Refuge Member

PorkChop,
    Look on Craigslist: Westernslope( Grand Junction , Co. ) a guy is selling some oversized shells. I think 40" and 36".
    Just thought i'd pass it along.

PorkChop likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

I agree they were too high. We laid on our backs on a od green foam sleeping mat for insulation from the ground, fashioned a crude headrest with whatever gear or jacket we had and covered our heads with the decoy and our bodies with the mudded burlap. Way lower profile that didn't look out of place in the other decoys.

PorkChop likes this.
  8. PorkChop

Thank you I will check that out. I think G&H and Flambeau’s made the 40 inch. We always had problems with the Flambeau heads being loose and then there used to be a ring support for the head that would come off. They definitely held paint better though but the thicker plastic would crack easier in the cold.

Blackduck likes this.
  9. PorkChop

Even as a kid I had a hard time laying on my back with those. I could pop up to my knees much faster from my belly. We also laid on foam pad’s. This conversation is really making me wish I had some right now!

10. Billy Bob

It sure is bringing back some memories. All of those years of goose hunting under those shells still pays off today when I am gunning wigeon in my layout boat. I shoot better from that rising seated position as I do from any other.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    PorkChop likes this.