Carrying lead slugs while duck hunting

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Old Carver, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Old Carver

Old Carver New Member

We had a unique maybe to Alaska duck hunting occurrence. My son and I were hunting from our boat a couple years ago. We had a nice spread of dekes out and staked the boat against the bank. With the brush racks up in place we were pretty invisible. It was a dead morning. My son heard a noise behind us and looked back over his shoulder. He immediately broke open his shotgun and spit out his duck loads. He threw in two slugs (we keep 2 slugs & 2 buckshot in the loops on our slings at all times)and stuffed his shotgun through the back side brush rack. He killed a big black bear boar not 15 yds from our boat. That big bugger had walked right up to us and was looking right in the boat. It could just as easily been a big grizzly.
    Part of our rules in AK is to take your bear hide in and have it sealed by Fish and Game. All went smooth but they warned us that carrying a lead slugs/buckshot while expressly duck/goose hunting was technically against the rules. No lead. Prudent but against the rules. I had to find sabot rounds that are pure copper so we're legal. Unfortunately they come in 12 & 20 ga. Don't know what we're gonna do for his 16. He may just have to carry a 44. Then again aren't you carrying a gun with lead bullets? It's a catch-22. Maybe I can find some Barnes copper bullets for the 44 to be legal. Is fish and game in other places looking at lead slugs the same way. I'd imagine there are other places that bears could be a challenge.

2. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

I carry slugs and/or buckshot in some areas I hunt. Mainly, out in areas like Cold Bay where there are just a lot of bears. In fact, I had always carried slugs with me, and actually chambered on the walk out to my hunting area in almost all instances...except for one... and that one almost cost me. My thoughts are, I'd rather be ale to defend myself if I needed to, than not have that ability. I've been checked many times out in Cold Bay. They usually ask for license, duck stamp, check for plugged shotgun and generally check shells to make sure your using steel shot for birds.....but have never had them ask about my slugs. Those are FWS guys. To make an assumption that your using solid lead slugs to shoot birds would be pretty stupid....IMO anyways.

pukeko likes this.
  3. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Technically stupid that they would warn you about having lead slugs while duck hunting.

4. Tundrawookie

Tundrawookie New Member

Just a couple cents worth of anecdote; I always carry slugs and have been checked many times...usually by feds. The conclusion that we came to is that a slug is, by definition, a slug. Lead "shot" is prohibited on your person while hunting waterfowl. I can imagine that depending on the mood of the enforcement agent, buckshot could land you in hot water, but I'll plead my case in court if I actually get cited for carrying slugs in bear country. Dallen, how often do you hunt Cold Bay? Odds are that we've run into each other out there on occasion.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I think slugs would be fine, since it isnt shot. Buck shot is where it could get you trouble. A lot of the old timers around here used to pass shoot geese with buck shot, and quite a few guy (young and old) still do. Old habits die hard i guess. Depending where i hunt, i sometimes carry a slug with me when deer and waterfowl season are open at the same time, wouldnt want a legal buck getting past me.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Don't see the problem here. As an ex-LEO, he did the prudent thing. TECHNICALLY, you were wrong. He overlooked it. Properly.
    Change the scenario. You are hunting in the Delta of California. Is it ok to have buckshot there? Nope. They are Federal rules/laws. One size doesn't fit all, and he understood that. Good for him.

That said, the next guy might not see it that way, and if he wrote a ticket, it would be valid. We would 'hope' the judge would see things more clearly, but you never know.
    I agree with the slug advice per dallen. At least for your boy.

Sometimes rules are stupid. I can understand why they are written, but, again, one size does not fit all.

7. Old Carver

Old Carver New Member

I grew up hunting ducks and geese out of pit blinds in the rice fields of Colusa/Arbuckle area of N. Cal as a kid (way before steel). Some of the guys used #4 buck to skybust geese. Idiots. Falling pellets were a pain for the next guy over that's for sure. No place for that. I'm happy up here in AK now using a 20 ga with steel. We do have an advantage in AK since we are shooting early season birds. I'm sorry for the guys down South. Up here we begin the birds first lessons and they get smarter as they fly South. By the time the ducks and geese get to TX/LA/AR they have a doctorate degree in blind/decoy avoidance. When I lived in South Dakota the birds would be pretty wary by mid season.
    I think I'll do my due diligence and carry a couple Brenneke copper slugs in my sling and stop carrying buckshot (even though it's not for birds). I try and follow the rules and set a good example for my kids and grandkids. My wife was a LEO for years and I learned that one guy would write you depending on his mood and another would warn you or not even mention it. It all depends on department/agency mood and policy for that given day/month/season. Why risk it?

cast&blast and Winchester 1897 like this.
  8. dallen

I used to hunt out there a lot. But maybe every other year or so in the last 10 years.

9. pukeko

pukeko Senior Refuge Member

Are bears still active in Cold Bay in early December ?

10. dallen

While I dont think they go into a non stop hibernation out there, I do think December is pretty bear free. Birds are pretty slim (geese), but sea ducks are around. Lots of ptarmigan. Lots.