Carrying lead slugs while duck hunting

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Old Carver, Feb 22, 2016.

1. AleutianKing

AleutianKing Elite Refuge Member

I also have in the past carried Buckshot or slugs for bear defense but Since then I have changed my mind due to an officer threatening to write me a ticket, Trust me Hevishot #2 will put a bear down and also its legal as years ago we had a DLP-Defence of life and property on our homestead near King Salmon as a bear broke into our kitchen and i one of my guides grabbed my shotgun in the corner and took care of things and at 10yds I will assure you that hevishot is devastating on a brown bear and will penetrate the skin.

2. JohnCharlieNoak

JohnCharlieNoak New Member

I believe the .44 Magnum for your son is a great idea. There are solid copper bullets available that penetrate very well, and that is what you need to do with a bear. Write to Brian Pearce at Rifle magazine in Prescot, Arizona. He can recomend what bullet/powder load to carry. It sounds like your son has good situational awareness already. Half of emergency bear kills are with pistols, and the other half with long guns. Lead slugs can have a hard time penetrating the skull, I know this to be true. Good luck, and good hunting!