Carrylite flying decoys...

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by oneear, Oct 19, 2004.

1. oneear

oneear Senior Refuge Member

Does anyone have any and what do you think of them. I tought they may work well fordistant birds as a visual due to thier size......or would a flag work instead?

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

They seem to work well. But are a little pain to set up.
    I not sure why. small groups of birds tend to land right between them.
    Again i know they seem to work well but they are last decoys that end up along on a hunt. I think because there are only two, and they dont bag well with other decoys.
    The last 10 Utah hunts where I used them on and around the BRR I had geese land in them 3 of the times.
    I dont even think I used them last year.
    Guess i should be using them more

With a strong wind they look great

3. Idahoan

Idahoan Senior Refuge Member

oneear-

I guess the only thing better than the flying carry-lite decoys are a pair that are re-painted to kill! My buddy HuMMer has a pair he picked up for something like $10 for the pair, though they are of the duck variety. Check out the re-paint. I won't mention who done it. We're curious to see how they work out this season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Idahoan

4. Dirk Snodgrass

Dirk Snodgrass Elite Refuge Member

My hunting buddy had to buy some and IMO, they are just a waste of space. You need a GOOD wind to make em move and they are a total pain in the arse to haul around with the extra poles etc. If they worked I wouldn't have that attitude, but IMO- its not a magnet like a spinning wing or a jerk decoy.

5. BIG BANG

BIG BANG Elite Refuge Member

I use them and they seem to help later in the season, but I use mine close to the ground to give the impression of birds strecthing their wings (as geese often do) as opposed to make them look like landing birds. I permanenntly attached the wings on mine and just throw them in the cart, too much hassle to take them apart every hunt!

6. DUKHTR

DUKHTR Elite Refuge Member

had them for years...and as with you others, donot use them often....but when I do, it seems they help with the attraction of the set-up....kinduv a pain to use on carry in hunts, but if able to drive in there is no issue with the poles etc......I use different hieghts and agree that one on the ground appears like a gander stretching!

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Mine went to the dump during The Great Decoy Shed Purge of '04. I thought they were neat. Birds thought they were spooky.

8. PEI Wing Locker

PEI Wing Locker Senior Refuge Member

We had 4! The only time they worked is when it is blowing 70 MPH. They were moving alot and hard to keep straight. Theu are so big they catch alot of air. Bring maul, if you get some!

Save your money and make a Flag. I would sooner forget the calls home than the flag! That's just my experience...

9. JJ McGuire

JJ McGuire Elite Refuge Member

Idahoan-
    That is a excellent paint job on those birds!:tu

10. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

I have 2 of the flying Carrylites. I think that they spook Canada geese for some reason, therefore, I stopped using them a few years ago. The wings fall out of the body once the clip gets worn. Both problems solved! Used hot glue and permanently welded the wings to the body. Painted both as Snow geese with white paint and black wing tips. They work much better as Snow decoys!:tu :tu :tu