Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

carstens pintail duck boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by whitedice, Sep 20, 2018.

1. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

Just picked up a carstens pintail duck boat off a local for sale page for a good price. I mostly hunt out of a one man kayak but am interested in trying to hunt 2 people out of this. I have read lots of people saying they can fit 2 guys plus a dog in this boat.

I am just curious for anybody that hunts out of the pintail, how do you setup for 2 guys? Can you both sit towards the side of the boat and shoot perpendicular? Or are most people using it just for transportation.

Any blind ideas for a 2 man setup for a small boat like this?

Thanks guys! Im pretty excited to take this out on the water soon.

2. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

was this the one posted for $275 just the other day? i almost jumped on it.

3. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

Sure was! Im going to take it out on a pond this evening to check it over. I really didn't have the need for one because I already have a one man kayak setup. But for the price I figured I can use it in the summer as a fishing boat if nothing else. Really hoping I can find a good way to hunt 2 people out of it. Would like to mix up my hunting style a little bit and try out some new areas this year.

4. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Where was that one listed at again? i tried to find the original post but never could after i saw it the first time?

5. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

Sent you a message.

Update: 25mph winds today so I figured it would be a good test. Things did not go well. I couldn't paddle that with a kayak paddle at all. Ended up just going with the wind to get back to the other side of the shore. If I want to hunt out of that with any consistency I will need to get oarlocks or a motor.

So, now I am looking for information on a 2 man hunting blind, and also, has anyone ever mounted a motor on this? How are you guys dealing with the wind when you use something like this?

6. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

We started off with a pintail years ago in N.D. and Fl.

It worked great as 2 man boat in shallow water, where can pull it up into the cattails or beach it. Do to its size/limited space we never used a blind, always natural Vegation. With 2 guys we paddled it like a Canoe, kneeling on boat cushions. We also made seats out of 2x6’s across the curtain wall. Your dog needs to be steady. If we brought more than 10 or 12 decoys we dragged a sled behind. When we couldn’t stabilize the boat on the bottom or in weeds we would stand along side it, leaving the dog and gear in the boat.

In Fl. We would would use it as a single man layout boat, and oar that thing all over the place. We made plywood lids and backrest. Would lay down and use a little rake to cover yourself up with lake weeds. That thing was deadly.

Guys would side mount trolling motors on them but wit the size/space restriction we just paddle or oared.

Good luck, you got a heck of a deal.

7. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

Awesome, thanks for the reply, good info!

I won't be hunting with a dog if I go with 2 people, although in the future I would like to get a dog if I can manage solo hunts out of this.

If I hunt this with a buddy (170lbs and 250lbs) do you think we could sit perpendicular along the side of the boat, facing the decoys, and shoot without ending up in the water?

Boat will be in cattails, in maybe 2-3ft of water. Thinking I will use 2 poles in the front and back of the boat. Reasonable scenario, or is that pushing the limits of this boat?

8. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

I hunted all last season out of my Carsten Pintail I had picked up for $400. I easily hunted 2 adults sitting on shell buckets. My boat has spud holes for stabilizing but I have never used them. I push pole the boat into a sawgrass patch or cane and it's deadly!

9. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

What do you mean by shell buckets? Did you both face forward in the blind or off to the side?

I took it out hunting this weekend, it wasn't as great as I had hoped but it wasn't a complete failure either. I basically set up a bench seat on one side of the boat and tried to squeeze in. That put to much weight on one side of the boat and while it wouldn't tip, it was leaning pretty far to one side. If I can get the weight more centered in the boat by hanging my feet to the outside, it should be good enough.

Im thinking about adding a tall seat so that my feet rest on the top of the outside edge, and I am sitting it more of the middle of the boat instead of the edge. I am concerned that this will be a lot of weight high up on the boat instead of low, and that might make it tippy.

Do you have any pictures of your 2 man hunting setup?

10. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Loaded up my 2 bigger Carstens for a week of Hunting potholes up North

00BB7B94-6AE9-4FF9-A114-AFC906864FAA.jpeg

whitedice likes this.