Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

carstens pintail duck boat

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by whitedice, Sep 20, 2018.

1. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

We use 5 gallon buckets with lids as "shell buckets" and they double as a seat when we blind up.

Here's my son sitting on his shell bucket and I'm standing in the Pintail boat taking his picture. We can both sit sideways and either sit or stand to shoot. The sawgrass patch I pulled the boat into adds stability and if needed I keep a couple of pieces of closet rod material (large wooden dowel) to use in the spud holes to stabilize the boat even more.

IMG_0261.JPG

whitedice likes this.
  2. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing! It must be the difference in vegetation because we tried that with cattails and the boat leaned heavily to the side we were sitting on. Im about 170 and my buddy is pushing 250 so the weight could make a difference as well.

I appreciate everyone's input. My motor comes tomorrow so hopefully I will have an update after this weekend. If nothing else, I think I can turn it into a sweet one man layout setup.

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Are these all fiberglass or wood/fiberglass?

4. cajunwannabe

cajunwannabe Senior Refuge Member

We're used to sitting in pirogues too. If a pirogue isn't spudded in or jammed into a sawgrass patch or cane she'll tip when shot over the side. lol

Carstens are fiberglass boats. They're heavy ( my Pintail is probably 100 lbs.) but very low profile boats and will disappear in the grass.

whitedice likes this.
  5. whitedice

whitedice Refuge Member

I put a mini swamp runner on this and tested it out. I was pretty impressed, it is sure going to beat paddling it like a kayak. Still trying to work out a decent blind for 2 people but if that doesn't go well, Ill be pleased to keep it as a one man layout.

Once I add the motor it is a little to cumbersome for the truck. Probably going to look for a trailer for it now.

6. HEUY

HEUY Senior Refuge Member

Maybe try hunting 2 guys out of the 2 boats. Rather than both in one boat. Park next to each other (couple feet apart) and it might be the best option.