Carstens pintail floor ideas?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by divebomber, Sep 5, 2017.

1. divebomber

divebomber New Member

Gonna upgrading from carstens puddler to a pintail soon and am wondering what you guys are using on the floor to keep you up off the floor so not to be sitting in water. My old puddler had a cedar floor in it but I'm looking for a lighter option since the pintail is a heavier boat. Thanks

2. EWUEagles

EWUEagles Senior Refuge Member

Plywood with holes drilled in, 2 inch insulation foam with holes or rubber mats will all work.

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Welcome to the Refuge, Divebomber. This has been an informative & fun forum
    to have been on all these years, & I'm sure you'll enjoy it !

On our pintails, I've made very light weight cedar floorboards.
    I had the lumber yard cut a board(s) in 3/8" thickness
    An 8 ft board should work ok,& they were about 4" wide

I took a 1/2" x 2" board & cut them to fit width wise on the bottom of the boat, lying flat on the bottom.
    I spaced them out, maybe 18 to 20 inches apart, the length of the cockpit
    Then I lay the first board centered in there, then keep laying boards next to each other on both sides.
    I spaced the boards with maybe a half inch gap between boards. this can vary so you can get
    all your boards in there---wide enough to both sides.
    I cot them a little longer than the cockpit length----so once assembled, you can have enough
    space to lift one end, slide the other a little deeper into the opposite end, and lift it out of the cockpit.

Once I mark both of the end cross strips (underneath), I use a 3/4" wood screw & start fastening the center board
    Then continue on both sides with the other cedar boards.
    It really is not very heavy, cedar handles the water ok, no need to even paint it----just let it weather
    Strong yet light enough, not expensive, not hard to make.
    I've thought they were a great little invention, starting 60 years ago when my dad explained it to me as a kid, when he was cleaning out his Mallard Queen.

Ringbill

4. divebomber

divebomber New Member

Thanks Ringbill, that is aboit exactly how i built my old one, probably how i will do this one .

Ringbill likes this.
  5. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

6. websdown

websdown Senior Refuge Member

What I use is one of those turkey hunting chairs. They have about 4in high fold up or down legs you can still use your oars without hitting the top of your legs. Or some times I just sit on my life jacket. I know I should have it on but I,m mostly in water 4ft or less mostly.

7. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

Buy a sponge....

8. websdown

websdown Senior Refuge Member

Ya that kennel tuff panel is a good idea i also use one on the floor so when I step in I don,t flex the floor or wear down the fiberglass with the sand on bottom of boat. I bought mine at FleetFarm a few years ago. They are a hard tuff plastic piece but not breakable in cold temps somewhat alittle flex.