Carving shop pictures?

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

This year I'm turning a 2 car garage into my carving/painting shop. That being the case, I'm looking for ideas for the inside. Anybody have pictures of what they've done so I can get some plans rolling? Thanks.

2. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

I'm new at trying to post photos, so I'm not sure what will show up. Concerning my shop. the features I think are critical are a lot of shelving and a good sturdy work bench. DSC_0001.JPG P2040008.JPG P1310010.JPG DSC_0001.JPG P2040008.JPG P1310010.JPG

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Prairie, I am super impressed. Do you carve commercially or just to have a lot of fun ?

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Good points. Right now I have a roll up door, like most garages, in the front. I think I will take that out and extend the front of the garage out 10-12 feet and enclose that with windows in the walls and a doorway to the rest of the shop. That will be my painting area. The idea behind that will be to keep out the sawdust while allowing me to have a smaller area to keep warmer in the winter while the paint dries. The cutting/shaping section will also be heated, but I won't have any real reason to keep that above 50 degrees. or so.

5. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

Whup, thanks for the compliment. No, I've never sold any - too much time invested in them for the price they might bring. I do give some away to duck hunting buddies, but many are just collecting dust. One of the space saving things I do is mount most of the power tools onto their own "platform" so they are interchangeable on a "Workmate" table.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  6. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

7. gwdecoys

gwdecoys Elite Refuge Member

Good ventilation, and a good dust collection system are a must. Unless you remember to thoroughly vacuum as a major step between the carving and sealing/painting, you may have problems!:amen
    Remember, organizing is just a state of mind!:tu

8. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

9. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    My father , aka Mr. President in his shop. 1127161545-1.jpg

Mean Gene likes this.