Cast Netting Sockeye Salmon Videos

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by Erich_870, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Erich_870

Erich_870 Senior Refuge Member

A buddy and I made the annual trip to a terminal sockeye fishery south of Juneau and I took my video camera this time. I?ve been doing some video editing and here?s what I?ve put together. I?ll post more videos as I get them done.

This video shows how we got our fish down the creek and closer to his boat.

http://youtu.be/U1EemNofu8Q

Erich

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

That was an awesome video!! People that have never been to Alaska just don't understand how amazing it is up there and how much people rely on the land to provide food. As much sport as it provides it's more about filling a freezer than just having fun. The barrell idea is incredible!!

How far of a run was it down there from town? There were pinks and reds in that river? I didn't realize that there was good sockeye run in the SouthEast.

Do you have good accessibility from Juneau for hunting and fishing in a "small" boat. I'm talking like an 18ft Lund or other equal open skiff. I've been there many times on the Coast Guard boat I was on, but never during any nasty weather.

I was thinking Ketchikan had the best area for small boats to run around and enjoy the inside passage. What is your opinion from a Juneau perspective?

I know my wife would much rather move to Juneau than Ketchikan, but I'm worried about the number of people really cramping the hunting and fishing possibilities that I can get to with a reasonably inexpensive boat.

3. Erich_870

Thanks Ring King,

Last time we went we used a couple heavy duty canvas bags, but the barrel was more secure.

It's about 30 miles south of town. We took my buddies 23ft Wooldridge. The stream was FULL of pinks! I've never seen so many; THOUSANDS of them. It was a huge amount of work to keep pulling them all out of the cast nets. Each cast would bring in a dozen pinks and maybe 1 or 2 sockeye. The sockeye are actually planted each year as fry by helicopter in the lake way above the falls. The smolt migrate out and return several years later. The fish can’t make it up the major falls so it's considered a terminal fishery for both sockeye and pinks, thus the liberal limits and methods allowed.

There were also 7 brown bear that came around most of the day. I have some good videos of them too. Only one close encounter and we rearranged our gear to prevent any more temptations.

There are lots of places around Juneau to go hunting, fishing and camping with a small skiff. I'm saving up my pennies for an 18ft Lund. It's a very good nice to medium weather skiff. Someday... :pra

I don't have any experience running around Ketchikan in a skiff.

Your wife will like Juneau better than Ketchikan. I know a lot of Coasties and I've heard from many of their wives that Ketchikan is just too rainy. This is what they tell me, so don't shoot the messenger any Ketchikan folks who disagree :nutz

Erich

4. Erich_870

5. Erich_870

Here is yet another video. :yes

This is some underwater footage of a huge school of pink salmon in the hole below us.

http://youtu.be/t1h2hbarsnw

Erich

6. Ring King

I am absolutely drooling!!! :cry You don't know how bad I want to get back up there!!! It's killing me!!! :pra Hopefully the Coast Guard will see fit to sending me back there when I'm done here in Florida (summer of 2013)!! Of course I still have to convince the wife!!! :( It's hard for me to believe that with her being from there that she doesn't want to go back!! What's wrong with her????? :scratch

7. Ray

Ray Senior Refuge Member

Ummm...she is warm and dry now. There is no more snow to shovel. In January she puts on a hoodie instead of a parka. The glowing orb in the sky in January actually still sends down heat. She can swim in the ocean without a dry suit. She can go beach combing bare foot - no more Xtra-Tufs. She has learned to reason with hurricane season.

8. Erich_870

Hehehe, note to self: Don't take wife to Florida, lol!

I have to take a second to brag on my wife. As we were heading home, exhausted and sore, I was thinking about all of the work ahead of me to process my share of the fish and was starting to dread how long it would take. My wife asked if she could help fillet and so I grabbed her a knife and showed her what to do. I kid you not, she was whipping out store quality fillets by her 3rd fish! :bow All while doing it outside in the pouring rain! :doh

It went so much faster than I expected, all of the fish came out perfect and we had it sealed and in the freezer faster than you could blink.

I have a real keeper and now she's firing up the smoker AND the canner! :grvn

Erich

9. Ring King

Ray pretty much summed it up! When we were in Alaska my wife loved the outdoors. We were always hiking, camping, fishing, or just playing on the river. Life was grand!! These days she still loves the outdoors.........she just spends the time laying on the beach or around the side of our pool. She really digs the whole sun tan thing and has adapted well with a gold medal worthy bronze color. I got her to go hiking once down here but after being eaten alive by seed ticks while trudging around the woods in 100+ degree weather she decided it was not for her!!! Luckily the Coast Guard has the final say in where we end up. Even if I have to move back up there as a geo-bachelor it would still be worth it come hunting and fishing time, right??

10. Erich_870

Your wife sounds like a trooper, I'm sure she'll go wherever the coast guard sends you. :tu

Erich