Caught me a Mud Buddy!

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Mudhole, Sep 25, 2006.

1. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

I just ran my old 1752 pd boat that I sold with a 36pd on it. Brand new out da box engine ran 28.0 mph in 2ft deep water today. One person (170lbs). Once the prop gets worn in a little & the motor gets broken in should pick up a mph or a little better. Torque was awesome! Just thought some of you would want to know.

2. extra mud

extra mud Elite Refuge Member

Ok , just for the record .

The motor doesnt " come In "

As prop burns off cupp.

When the prop burns off cupp . It addsrpm / sometimes speed . depending on load and set up .

Cupp adds ,,,ummmm ,,,,, pitch . Kinda .

Sooooo , if you add pitch you decrease rpm . ... Same with adding cupping .

Soooo . If your prop / setup ,,,, needs to be depitched ,,,, and you burn off cupping ,,,, you've ,,, essentially ,,,,decreased pitch .

RPMs will increase ,,,, speed might also ...

3. rg567

rg567 Senior Refuge Member

Wrong. I don't know about the prop stuff, thats not my thing. However the motor will break in for the first hours and increase in power. It'll happen slowly and most will not notice it at all, but as the engine breaks in, it WILL gain as much as 1hp or more. Run a brand new motor with its brand new prop and record speeds and conditions. Pull that prop off and run a different one for 25hrs. Then put the original back on and recheck the speeds at similar conditions. I guarantee that your 25hr speeds will be higher...

4. cutt-down

cutt-down Banned

There's a TON of variables to consider about props. If the prop is on the edge of being a perfect match for the motor then things will change considerably. If the prop is slightly thicker & larger in diameter then a little wear will actually increase the motor's performance. That's the case with the pd's. The prop is thicker than most I've seen to begin with & it is slightly larger in diameter than "optimum" for sake or wearing in before it starts to wear out. And I agree with rg in that these motors will start performing better when they are broken in. No matter what brand! May not be much but they do some.

5. extra mud

A 1 hp increase good for how many rpm ?

A Cupped 3 blade prop to a non cupped 3 blade prop is a change of about 2 " of pitch or so, or 200 - 300rpm. A MM prop cupp , Which is about approx .150" more than that ,,or better the cupp of and outboard prop . ( but we're talkin 2 blade to 3 blade ) So this is just an example because there are too many variables to compare with props. If you decrease cupp , you will increase rpm . Now that doesnt always mean an increase in speed but low end can benifit also .

Most fellas claim a " comming in " at around 10 plus hours of run time , not the couple of hrs which Im asuming is 2-3 .

Sooooo Maybe its a combo of both ?

6. extra mud

OK, so we're both right !:yes

7. randy merta

randy merta Senior Refuge Member

Speaking of passing others.....when I got out of college I worked at a veneer factory about 4miles from my home. I rode my bicycle to work everyday. Every morning there was a old man that drove down the same road I took to work. One morning I seen him go cruising by heading west so I fired up the old mountain bike and took off after him. After a short distance I caught up to him and passed him. Now he pushed down on the gas and really ripped the road up and I started peddling faster and the next thing you know I caught up with him again. He again sped up and I turned into the veneer factory. I think we got up to 20 mph tops. I came into work laughing my *** off at the old man. I raced him a couple of more times that year. There was no way he was going to let me pass him on that bicycle.
    Randy

8. olbaidhh

olbaidhh Elite Refuge Member

Great speeds on that boat... I know your impressed with the PD but don't count out a boat designed to run with these motors. ;) :tu

Glad its working out for ya... good luck this season.

9. olbaidhh

olbaidhh Elite Refuge Member

Your rig should do a bit better overall. unloaded and lighter loads... 4 guys the 18 will be a bit better.

10. Hizzoner

Hizzoner Elite Refuge Member

That would be nice Harold and I certainly hope so. I am hoping that I can maintain similar speeds to what I was running before. I was running 25-26MPH before with the stock motor and between 26-27MPH with the Level I Kit(unloaded). I'd be tickled pink to maintain those numbers and to even do better, as you suggested.