CBR - What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by smashdn, Jan 13, 2017.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

My old boy (CLM) is turning ten this spring and the hard hunts take a few days for him to get over now. I can see him really slowing this season.

Starting discussions with wife on new pup and think I want to try a chessie this time. I like the look, I like the desire (that obviously varies from line to line and dog to dog) but am unsure over the difference (if there really is one) in training a lab versus a cbr. You read that it is different but often the writings don't delve into or explain the differences well. I have heard the 2 by 4 saw but think that is largely bs.

Obviously I want a hunting dog but would need to be a decent family dog as well. I have a 3 year old daughter now and plans are for another child in the future. Would also need to tolerate hunting with other people and dogs. My CLM took a few years to mellow and get along with other people aside from me, immediate family, and my dad.

What health clearances do I need or are desired? What lines are desirable? What lines to stay away from? In areas of the country to stay away from? I noticed in my area the breeders are few and those few don't have solid reviews or results from their lines.

2. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

I'll be picking up a 7 wk old Chessie in 10 days from a breeder in Roundup, MT. He will be my 6th in 40 years. Obviously I like them and they've been well adapted for my hunting (26 years in Alaska, and 14 in Montana). I've never had a Lab or Golden, so don't have any comment on direct comparisons. One of mine - a female - was a fighter and I ended up giving her to a good friend when she was about 2 years old. She was his only dog for 12 years and he said she was the best dog he'd ever had. Most of my dogs were out of the Chippewa Chief line.

Like you, I've heard some people (obviously with different experience than mine) say you need a 2X4 to train a Chessie. I don't buy that. Teach a Chessie what pleases you, and once they've got the idea they will perform. Regarding kids, I don't have any experience with infants - but I did have 2 stepdaughters (7 and 9) that grew up with my Chessies -- no problems.

As far as I know, no special health issues. Of course you want hip displasia guarantee.

I believe there is a member of this board - Rick Hall ? who has had Chessies for many years. Maybe he'll chime in or you could try contacting him. Good luck.

3. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

PM sent.

4. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I have had labs for over 40 years that were duck dogs and currently have a 5 year old BLM. I picked up a CBR male in May of 2016-he is almost 11 months old. I have been training him since I brought him home. I have found with this particular CBR that he is an enthusiastic learner that has been easier to train than my previous labs that were good duck dogs. He is high energy and needs lots of exercise-he took to the water at 10 weeks and was immediately an enthusiastic water retriever. Had some initial problems with 'water freaking' ( splashing with his front paws and refusing to come out of the water). That problem is behind us. He forced fetched enthusiastically and successfully and still does. He is as smart as a whip-not hard headed at all-he has been the easiest pup to train I've ever had. One problem I've had was some aggression issues when he is in possession of an object he covets-that has been troubling, but we are working our way through that. The breeder that owns his sire told me he has never had that problem with any of the sire's offspring-my dog seems to be the exception unfortunately. However, he is great with strangers and the family.The health clearances, including DM, were all in place. The thing I've found is that is very important that the CBR regards you as the alpha male of the pack. I'm not a professional trainer and ,by no means, an authority on CBRs-just reciting my current experience. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

GO join http://teamchesapeake.com/forum/ PRA,EIC DM are all things you need to look out for. I had one for 12 years best hunting dog I ever owned. Sweet girl, loved everyone but was protective of my wife and kids. Very easy to train and force fetch. It is very difficult to find a great breeding so join the forum and get to know some of the breeders. Most good Peakes are sold before they are ever born occasionally you can find a litter but most of the time it takes a long time, if you get on the waiting lists you have a better chance to get a good quality dog with excellent bloodlines and health clearances. Several good bloodlines over in WA state ,MD, Virginia and Pennsylvania Good luck

6. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

I've had three female CBR's over the last 35 years. Truly the best dogs I could of ever wanted. I will always have one by my side. Years from now you and your family will be super glad about getting that amazing CBR pup. You definitely won't be sorry smashdn.

7. Strick9

Strick9 Refuge Member

Whichever breeder you choose for your Chessy please make sure to make sure that both parents are DM clear !

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

How many clear x carrier pups have been shown to have developed DM?

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Why? :reader

10. Strick9

Strick9 Refuge Member

Its become quite prevalent in CBR , crime to further the disease by breeding dogs that have the alleles when a simple test can reveal whether the sire or dam is a carrier. A quick google search can tell you far more than I can type out here.