Cedar Key Fishing?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by fishnfool, Feb 3, 2016.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I'm going to be down in Cedar Key at the end of February for a family wedding....is anything biting that time of year that would make it worth bringing a travel rod along?

I'll have no time for charters or exploring...we're talking docks and beaches around town/hotel.

2. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Honestly that time of year I'd focus on going to Key West and partying down. There a lot cool things to do. Tarpon fishing is always hit and miss that time of year but FOR SURE go feed the tarpon at Robbies, seriously its a must!!! Ill try to find a picture and post it of last time I was there..

3. ibfishin1

ibfishin1 Refuge Member

Waterfowl Fool.... Cedar Key is on the west coast Big Bend Region. Best fishing will be at the warm water discharge at the power plants. Not sure about anything for a shore bound angler.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. ibfishin1

ibfishin1 Refuge Member

When in the keys in would agree that Robbie's is a must. Hand feeling the tarpon is a blast. Peak tarpon time down there is May and June. It is a fun time.

Big Bend area tarpon time is April and May around the Homosassa area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5. ghostingrey

ghostingrey Senior Refuge Member

I used to fish around that area a bit years ago. There's a decent public fishing pier right in Cedar Key. There aren't really beaches in that area, mostly just salt marsh. Fishing will be slow in February but there might be a few redfish and sea trout to be had. I'd bring the rod if you're going to have some free time. If you can find a place to rent a kayak or a small bot that would really help your chances.

6. Waterfowl fool

Waterfowl fool Elite Refuge Member

Gotcha bri. That's where Sarena and Randy got married !! And you wonder why I always get lost on a lake over lived 39 plus years on [emoji90]

Sent on a small phone using fat fingers.... Forgive me!!