Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Central Flyway Reports 2015

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by rdj.olympia, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Go wesssstttttt. Eastern SK and western MB are a bust. Go far west SK for good numbers. I shot 300 last year and 13 this season if that helps.

2. retriever

retriever Refuge Member

We're talking snow geese, correct? I have some friends in central Saskatchewan doing pretty darn good this past week!

3. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

I fully agree with Bang, western MB has snows but very little numbers. I thought last year was bad. This fall is worse.

Spring season is becoming the only time to hunt these birds in decent numbers.
    We did get into Specs 2 weeks ago which is rare where I hunt.

4. ezduckr

ezduckr Senior Refuge Member

Our experience as well. We thought last year was bad . . . . until this year. We usually get a couple hundred on our annual trip, last year around 70, this year 16. Only setup for snow hunts twice this year as there just weren't any birds. One of those times we knew was a waste but just wanted to get the dust off the spread. The second hunt would've been a barn-burner in normal years, wind-rowed barley, but there were only 1000 or so snows in the entire area and they were all using that field. Shot all adult blues.

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

We have had heavy frost and freezing temps in the far north. Friends in Churchill say the birds have all left, but we don't have any here at all. I literally saw less than 200 snow geese in the fields here all fall. I shot 3 in the marsh, one at the boat launch, and 12 in the field. That is it. I shot about 300 last season (mainly because there were no ducks to hunt at all) and this year I have shot a grand total of 10 Canada geese, 12 snow geese, and 6 mallards while field hunting.

I don't know what is going on. Perhaps the entire flyway has pushed west, but it has made a huge difference in the bird numbers here in the fall. I've eyed swath barley fields in the valley that don't have a single bird going to them. Still lots of grain fields, and lots of untilled fields, so no reason for the birds to bypass us.

Global warming? Perhaps.

Twenty years ago , I could travel in the valley in October and see upwards of 20-30,000 mallards in fields all over the place, and they would be huntable until freezeup and snow cover chased them south. On my scouting this morning, I didn't see 20 mallards on those same fields. One flock of about 30 snow geese and a large amalgamated flock of Canada geese (about 500) that are locals and have been heavily hunted since Sept 1st. Good luck in getting them to come into anything.

This year is a bust. W.

6. tealdog

tealdog Senior Refuge Member

Hunted westers

7. tealdog

tealdog Senior Refuge Member

Hunted western sask out of the 160 40 juvies never seen any northern ducks

8. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Well just got back from an 8 day trip to SK. Arrived Friday morning so we could scout and greeted with nice weather(for the birds). Found good numbers of birds and an "A" & "B" field that we were going to scout in the afternoon. That afternoon not a single bird went back to "B" so our choice was easy A it was. Had an ok start and wouldn't you know it good numbers of birds going into our B field. Got permission and pretty excited as there was a storm coming in so hopefully that would make it a little more interesting. It sure did as we watched clouds go on both sides of us and thought we had it made. Birds really wanted in and working nice and off to a great day. Well all of the sudden the clouds were not splitting and had a wall of rain coming our way. Had one of the guys get the truck and as he is driving into the field the birds are poring into the field. About ready to pull the plug and just couldn't do it as the snows were still decoying with the truck parked 10 yds in front of the spread! So I pulled the truck 30 yards ahead of the spread and big snows were still poring in. We got another 20 minutes of shooting until I finally pulled the plug and told them to just start throwing the decoys into the trailer so we could get the _ell out of the field. Another 20 minutes to half hour and we would not have made it out of the field or down the road. Day 2 was going to be a bust due to bad roads but was able to put together an afternoon hunt that we could leave the decoys out for a morning hunt too. Not much wind and plenty of sun so average days there. Birds moved about 15 miles south of where they had been so concentrated on them there. The areas A & B were completely void of birds in 3-4 days. This area usually holds good numbers of birds but they flat disappeared. Our last day was good with a little wind and cloud cover. When we scouted the area there were 8-9 large flocks to choose from for our last days hunt. Best day we had for 4 guys was 61 geese so happy with the hunting and especially excited for the guy who was up there for the first time. Had a great trip and glad to see the farmers we know. As is the case snows doing crazier stuff every year. Getting so crafty we gave up the chairs by the end of the week and laying on the ground to get as low a profile as we could. At least I have another 51 weeks to try to figure out how to fool those devils. Good luck to those heading up now. Bob

wtrfwlr43, grnhd and wyfarrell like this.
  9. Goldy777

Goldy777 New Member

Got back from Sask Sunday. The specks had an unbelievable hatch this year. Been going up for 35 years and have never seen juvie specks like this year. Shot easy limits. There were more juvie Ross and snows than I was expecting, but still not many. It was good to see more snows returning to the refuge we hunt near, they had abandoned the roost for two years. Still far fewer numbers than what it had been for the previous 30+ years though. Had one good big honker/mallard shoot. Saw more big flocks of mallards in fields than I've seen for years. The whole trip was great, as usual.

10. kaiserduckhelm

kaiserduckhelm Senior Refuge Member

Just got back Sunday. Snows were in low numbers and very spread out. Best day on snows was 80 in about 1 hour on an afternoon shoot. Field had just been cut that morning.

On normal years flightlines off the lake usually took 2-3 hours with birds going in several directions. This year you were lucky to get one flight lasting longer than an hour. If you weren't under it you were SOL. They would fill a field in the afternoon and the next morning not a single goose would fly that direction. Juvie snow numbers were better than expected but lower than normal. Ross were nonexistent this year.

We did hit the duck push perfectly this year a took limits of nice pintail and mallard whenever we targeted them. Local said most birds were still north but I think the string of nice weather had them spread out all over the place.