Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Central Opener

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Jon C, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Rick..a small school does have it's disadvantages at times but there are somethings about a small town that can't be replaced.

Jerry and riverrat47 like this.
  2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Any body else in the Central expect to see a few more birds today, but did not, considering yesterdays temp drops, NW winds, etc ?
    I went to a certain locale a "little" ways southwest of Chicago :flame:yes and seen very, very few today.

3. Jon C

They flew all day yesterday..didnt figure they would fly much today

4. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

MudDuk - typical of a day after a "blow". I think the wind wears them out. Have been thru it numerous times. Always expect something different but my expectations are never realized. Yesterday never fired a shot and never saw a "working" duck. Few high fliers was about all. I knew I should of stayed home but just can't make myself do that. Conversely - Four of us went to the boat ramp Saturday morning. We watched it rain, thunder and lightning until 8:00. The two "old men" went back to the cabin. The two boys went out. They limited out on mallards and gaddies. They said when ever it didn't rain the ducks flew. BUT- they were solid soaked and had tons of rain gear. Been there done that but I guess to old (wise?) for it now. It will get better. Tons of new ducks still in N.W. and central Missouri.

Il. MudDuk and Jon C like this.
  5. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

rism (and Jon C),
    I get it. I've seen it go all three ways i.e. a day before, during or after a front but agree about the wind possibly "wearing them out". The thing is, I took off work well in advance thus I HAD to go (that's what I tell the wife ) and of course if I go, I gotta stay positive and hope for the best. Without hope, you have nothing....you dont know if you dont go....you cant get em if you ain't there.
    With that being said, I gave up hope by 9:15am this morning and am now at home, ready for lunch and possibly a nap.

Jon C likes this.
  6. Jon C

MudDuk..i hear ya. Been there done that and hoped for the best. I finally got lucky on Saturday the stars lined up for once and it worked out, it usually doesn't.

7. rism

Hey MudDuk- Like that there nappy thing !!! When I'm at my place at the river it is my favorite pastime after hunting. Hunt til 1:00 no matter what. Back to the cabin by 2:00 - 2:30. Nap till 5:30 to 6:00 (colder the day longer the nap). Feed the dog, eat some supper. TV for maybe an hour. Back to bed to start it all over again. What a life if I can stand it. Wife says "aren't you ready to leave again yet?" She likens my being gone during duck season to her having a second vacation!!! Heading out today for 5 days. Have Turkey day at the river after hunting. Grandson and I and anyone else that knows how to get there and wants to come. Usually just have 3 or 4.

Gander View likes this.
  8. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Senior Refuge Member

Good luck to ya there Rism! Making memories with the grandson...gotta love it..my oldest of my little guys is 7. Took him on his first hunt at the end of October for youth season. He didn't shoot thAt day...just tagged along. Hoping to get him out there tomorrow morning with me for his second one with them being off school. Have a great turkey day and y'all stay safe out there. Post some pics!!

Jon C likes this.
  9. rism

ARHHH4 - Get him a BB gun ! Daisy Red Ryder. I had mine from when I was given it @ 7 yrs. old by my father. Taken very well care of through the years. Gave it to my grandson @ 7. I let him shoot decoys (farthest one away) while we were duck hunting. Now and then I would shoot a duck then he would shoot a decoy and say "got mine too grandpa". He's 17 now. Excellent hunter, caller. Ducks and geese. Now he does most of the hard stuff and grandpa gets to watch. Can't beat the memories and the ones to come hopefully for a number of years.

CLS Posse, riverrat47 and Jon C like this.
  10. Jon C

I would have thought today would have been a good day..reports from all around is that's it's dead nothing flying