Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Changes a gonna come to a WMA near you

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by stevena198301, Nov 17, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Blind draw is still a cluster. Folks second aunts stepsons niece puts her name in the bucket, type crap. I’ve heard you can hunt around someone else’s blind at SC, if they aren’t there. Never done it. I knee boot in. Beulah stumps are not what they once were. Guys still hunt it. And the big island out there. One krew throws out a giant spread over there a lot. Think they pass shoot mergansers.

2. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

"Think they pass shoot mergansers."
    Is that still duck hunting? I thought "yanks" was the only ones who that appealed to.

3. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

There aren’t a whole lot left of them stumps anymore. I walked in the mud flats, the sands, and hatchet ridge a good many times last year. Most folks hunting around there are hunting in boat blinds off the island. I’ll probably walk in some this year as well. The dewatering unit was nuts this morning.

4. stevena198301

It is to the 17 year old mad-gunna krew that shoots them every weekend over there. They shoot them and a few divers.

We missed it by going to IL and exploring some new spots. I think the same guys I see at SC every year were hunting beside us in IL this year. They walked out of the swamp and stood beside my truck yesterday morning for about 20 minutes waiting on their ride, and one of the kids asked no less that 4 times when they were gonna hurry up and get pictures, so he could finally take his facepaint off. :dohEnded up being 5 teens with 3 gadwall. They took individual pics with each of them holding them. I'm assuming they will go in the books as killing 15, with pics to prove it. :l

What was really funny was seeing my buddy walk past them with 4 mallards, and the look on their face.

5. Stealyourface

I ended up heading out to Arkansas with my dad this his group’s lease on Friday afternoon and hunting the rest of the weekend. Turned out not to be a good weekend at their fields. But I had a good time. They need more water before it opens back up. I killed more ducks at SC Friday. The ducks were there. But so was everybody else. It was a dove shoot for the first 30 min. One of our friends was having gun trouble, so he called my dad and he brought his out another gun. He ran into a guy at the bank who was coming out and asked him if he’d already shot his limit. This was 7 am. He said that no, he’s only shot 4, but was down to 2 shells and had the go get more. I had some boat motor trouble Friday and had to paddle to the blind. If it’s not fixed by this weekend, which it probably won’t be because I’m on night shift and won’t have time to mess with it, I’ll either be hitching a ride with someone to their blind, if there is room, or knee booting. Most likely the latter.

6. stevena198301

There was 20-25K mallards on the refuge recently, flying over that way every night. I knew there would be shooting, but it wasn't anything I wanted to get mixed up in. Expected with the ducks there, there would be tons of folks. I may venture out there for the second opener. Probably not though. I can't leave the state this weekend, so I'll hunt somewhere local.

7. Stealyourface

I’d like to walk into green tree, but I won’t get off of work until 1:30-2:00am Saturday morning, in Huntsville. Even if I leave out from work ready to hunt, there may be too many folks there by the time I get there. I’ll probably end up in Beulah bay or hatchet ridge.

8. stevena198301

I never hunt the GTR there anymore (we call it barking dog hole). Too many folks. Used to be a bang up gadwall hole.

Stealyourface likes this.
  9. Stealyourface

I hunted there a few times last year. First time in almost 20 years. It’s where my first couple of duck hunts were. They’ve done some work to it. There are a few more places to hunt in it, now, I think, anyway. No water in the field behind carpenter, yet. May be good later. If I can get in there before a bunch of folks, I don’t mind. But I’m not hunting it if it’s elbows and ********.

10. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

i got a boat you can borrow about a hour south if you need to borrow one but I have to drive

Stealyourface likes this.