California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Changes again...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Although South Dakota has been good to us, my wife has become adamant that it’s too far away from the kids/grand kids, so we’ll be changing locations. After spending most of the last two summers there we bought 5 ½ acres of land just outside of Ennis, Montana, and this/next year we’ll be building from scratch there. Our house in SD is sold and will be all taken care of by May 3rd so we’ll be moving stuff into storage in Montana starting the end of April. Ennis will only be a one day drive from each daughter instead of three, and the winters are FAR less brutal. The contractor who will build our house is booked way out already for this year, so this late summer we’ll get the shop up and the house foundation and will be first in line for the rest next spring. Although the duck and goose hunting in Ennis won’t be as good as around our place in SD, the deer and elk hunting is outstanding, and those tags are over the counter. I can still go back to SD for a couple weeks a year, and I’m reasonably certain there’s more duck hunting around Ennis than first meets the eye, but I don’t mind trading great ducks for great big game. I also have a good friend 4 hours away in Wyoming who does extremely well on waterfowl and Canada in September will most likely become a reality. Trout fishing around our new location is outstanding and we love the town/area. Wife also says it’s a place she could live if I died, which I hope isn’t a planned event. Anyway, by next summer I should be sitting on my front porch drinking coffee with an unobstructed view of the Madisons…I suppose we’ll see. Once the house is constructed we’ll have an extra room for visitors if anyone wants to stop by.

Here's to new adventures.

Montana Sunrise.jpg

jzee, lugnut, Mort and 12 others like this.
  2. Captain Jim

Captain Jim Elite Refuge Member

Friend of mine owns the Caddis Shack on the Madison....Been in that area and it is definitely a beautiful area

3. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

The madison river is probably one of the greatest trout fly fishing rivers on this planet! Congrats.

skinnyspoonie likes this.
  4. lo-base larry

lo-base larry Senior Refuge Member

Congratulations on your move. I hope everything works out for you and your wife. To be closer to the family is the clincher. To late for us to go anywhere plus the bulk of the family is here and a mountainous supply of pills await us close by. Didn't realize the weather would be so different in your new location, still being that far north. Having lived in the San Francisco bay area all my life I claim ignorance. Sounds like you're moving to paradise. California is going down the toilet.

5. Mean Gene

Just looked that up. Definitely not a shack. :eek::l

6. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

There are a few antelope there too.

7. Mean Gene

Had bucks bedded down on the property all summer.

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Yes with new regs coming soon. Too many Californians.:sp Stretches will be closed etc like other rivers now in MT. It’s my favorite for sure... love that place..

9. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Your a lucky man Gene, enjoying all life has to offer.
    The way my wife speaks of future events, I hope my exit isn't "planned" either.

10. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Congratulations, Gene.