Changing oil in a 97 Cummins - choices

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by BPS slayer, Apr 17, 2016.

1. BPS slayer

BPS slayer Elite Refuge Member

So my 16 year-old son was given a 97 Ram 2500 with the 12 valve Cummins diesel by my wife's uncle. Great truck, everything stock but the wheels, with only 155,000 miles on it.
    We are nearing the point where we need to change the oil, and I need some recommendations. I can get the oil filter from Advance or Autozone (they had the mopar and a couple other brands of filters for it from $13-15.
    Then there is oil... I have never had a diesel before, and it looks like most use Shell Rotella but what type? I mean there is Rotella T, synthetic blend and full synthetic. I use full synthetic in my 6.2 Chevy gasser, but the cummins looks like it is basically a tractor engine that Dodge decided to stuff in a truck. So what kind of oil does the diesel crowd here recommend?
    [​IMG]

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

If your going to run conventional oil use Mobil Delvac, much better than Rotella. Delvac reduced oil consumption on my Kenworths from 1 gallon between changes down to 1 quart between changes.

3. BPS slayer

Thanks 10gn I will look to see where I can get the Delvac.

4. BPS slayer

Read that Valvoline Blue is good too and they have a full synthetic. I'm leaning toward the full synthetics.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Rotella, Delvac, Delo---all good oils and you'll likely never notice any difference between them. All due respect to 10gaugenut but I seriously doubt the change in brand is what caused a reduction in oil comsumption(unless he also changed viscosity)

6. 10GAGENUT

I'm going to disagree and show my age here. When Mobil first started pushing Delvac for the trucking market I met up with a sales rep from Exxon/Mobil and he asked me since I owned the trucks and the company if I would like to be in their test fleet for Delvac. Mobil basically wanted Class 8 Rotella users which was the big name oil at the time to switch over and try Delvac for a 1 year trial period. I got all the oil changes for the one truck that participated free and they would pay for the final oil change with my oil of my choice, figured I'd give it a try for that deal.
    I just had to get the oil changed at their participating dealers and they recorded the results and did oil analysis at every change.
    Believe me when I tell you Mobil was thorough about it, consumption did go down to my surprise and it was kind of interesting to participate and see the results, plus all the free Mobil goodies I got was nice also.

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I'm not calling you a liar or anything at all; I've seen individual engines do better with one particular brand or another, but for most cases in a pickup I stand by my claim that those three oils are so similar there's no real difference.

8. 10GAGENUT

I know and picks ups don't idle for days on end in winter or run 120,000 miles per year which is where the consumption issues came in with my KW's.

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah that's a little different ballgame there!

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

BPS Slayer, do yourself a favor, Google Blackstone Labs, email them and ask them based on their historic data, what oil runs best in a 12v Cummins?