Charge bar to use

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Tennboy, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Tennboy

Tennboy New Member

I'm loading nickel shot for my loads. Would I use a steel or lead bar for a mec 600 jr.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Steel shot bars have a soft insert, allowing the shot to compress (best way I can describe it) to avoid sheering off the pellets, which you obviously can't do with steel, nickle plated, or large shot.
    So, steel bar is correct.

3. Tennboy

Tennboy New Member

Great info thank you very much. Here is my next hurdle. I've just started to research the charge bars and so far the steel bar will only allow me to have a max of 1 1/2 oz where the lead bar will allow me to get the 2 oz or 2 1/4 oz. I don't load hundreds of turkey loads just what myself and kids would shoot. Would it be ok to use the lead bar for minimal use ?

4. Olfducker

Olfducker Senior Refuge Member

Neither. IMO and experience charge bars are not accurate enough for hunting loads where you are commonly approaching maximum payload, velocity and hence, pressure. If you must use a charge bar get a variable bar and set up your load with a quality powder scale. Personally, I set up a powder measure and a 20 gauge shot shell with a scale for the specific powder charge, shot size and weight for the load I want.

Also, your comment about the shot weight difference between steel and lead bars vividly illustrates the need for a scale. Unless I am mistaken (very possible) the steel bar tells you how much steel the bar throws and the lead bar tells you how much the lead bar throws. Thus, you have no idea how much nickel shot either one will throw. Potentially very dangerous. Above all else,be safe.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

As you slide the bar across, it skims the top of the shot off. The buffer allows shot to 'pack in' and scrunch down into the cup. If you use the lead bar, this can't happen. You will probably run into the bar not being able to slide across. You can't hurt the lead bar, unless you try to force it.

6. Tennboy

Tennboy New Member

Great info sir. I do beleave you correct on what you said about the two different bars and me using nickel. I'm good with using a scale for these loads and will do that. Thank you very mech for the info. Safty is always first.

7. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

For reloading turkey shells, many people count pellets (yes, you read that right). Do a quick calculation on the number of pellets per ounce, and start counting.

8. Tennboy

Tennboy New Member

Yes I agree. I used to do that got away from it great info for reminder thank you very much

9. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

count them, then cut down an empty shell to use as a measuring device --so the cut down shell will hold exactly that number when level at the top. no need for a charge bar if you do this and only load a few shells , like turkey loads etc.

10. Tennboy

Tennboy New Member

Great idea mister gadwell. Thank ypu