Charity Case - FREE BLF To Good Home

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Rmellaw, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Rmellaw

Rmellaw Senior Refuge Member

This is more of a plea for help than a classified so.......

This pup is 9 mos old and is going to be a hoss. Already approximately 65 lbs. CC, FF, marking doubles, and basic blind work. Approx 4 months with a well known pro trainer. Excellent Ped. She is a fire breather but very calm and quiet on a stand in the timber. Took her hunting last weekend and she was spotting the birds with no help.

Here's the catch. She can't be bred. She has severe dysplasia in her left hip. She grew very large very quickly and was training very hard during this time. Her ped is solid with hip certs so more than likely this was the result of rapid growth or trauma early on. She will have to have either TPO surgery ($2000) prior to 1 year of age or THR ($3500) surgery later but should be at least %95 after that. When you combine the money you would have spent on purchasing the pup, food, shots, training etc., it will come out the same. You just won't have the puppy issues to deal with. If you get the surgery soon, she would be good to go next season.

She is a sweet pup and a good house dog. I understand that finding someone to do all of this is unlikely but I have to give her a shot.

I can't keep this dog. I'm the breeder and purchased the pup back. All I want is for the pup to have the opportunity to do what it was bred for and to be happy. Please PM if you are interested. If you aren't but you know someone who might be, please pass the info along.

2. LastFrontierLabs

LastFrontierLabs Elite Refuge Member

Post up a pedigree.

3. MoneyOfHerOwn

MoneyOfHerOwn Senior Refuge Member

Please consider spaying her before you send her to her new home!!!

4. Rmellaw

She'll will have limited registration definitely. The docs aren't recommending fixing her yet. She needs to stay lean. The dam is an HRCH. The sire is FTCH, MH, QAA and is out of Chavez. His ped includes Abe, Super Tanker, Lean Mac, and Harley. I'll give a full ped to someone who is seriously interested. Here's a pic of her. Not a great one cause she didn't seem to know what to think of the camera! The second pic is of her mother. Her head favors her mother a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JimandKristine

JimandKristine Elite Refuge Member

Nice lookin girl. Too bad about the hips. I sure hope someone is willing to take her on. Bless your heart for giving her a chance at a good life.
    I will post this on another board...Maybe someone there would like to have her.

6. caslpeke

caslpeke Senior Refuge Member

I'm first sorry for the situation, tough for Man and Beast. I have to say I admire your efforts on behalf of this bitch, as many would not want to reveal the dreaded "D" word in association with their breeding. This incident is a great opportunity to reiterate a couple of truths about CHD that my experience shows are NOT firmly grasped by many Retriever aficionados.
    CHD has three causative components: Hereditary-- but even breeding OFA Exellent to OFA Excellent does NOT guarantee offspring will be CHD free-- Nutritional--Too much Too fast with high Protien/Fat "Puppy" foods-- and Environmental-- Too Much Too Soon, pushing for that FT achievement before forming joints and supportive tissue are developed sufficiently to avoid joint alteration.

That having been said, I have to agree with you that she should make some lucky Duck Hunter a wonderful Gun Dog for many seasons to come, and the first one who can get by their predjudices and snag this girl will be happy they did.

I must say, I do not agree with the decision NOT to Spay. SPAY now, to remove the temptation to breed her a couple of seasons down the road when her performance in the field may tempt the new owner to try for a pup....

7. Sasha and Abby

Sasha and Abby Elite Refuge Member

Berautiful dog. I would come get her in a heartbeat if I did not already have 2. Give it a little time and you will find the home for her that she deserves. Thanks for your efforts.

8. browndog49735

browndog49735 Senior Refuge Member

How Can You Know For Sure She Has Hd She's Only A Pup.
    Not Even Ofa Cantell You For Sure At 9 Months Old.
    I Am Sorry If I May Have Affended Someone But It Seems Like A Waste To Throw In The Towel So Young.

9. Rmellaw

browndog, I understand your point. It is very hard to tell at this age what a pup's hips will be. And there is a slim chance they will get better. However, she is symptomatic with a bad limp and the x-rays are conclusive. More than one vet with a lot of experience with this have evaluated them. The left hip is severe.

Genetic CHD has become much more rare than anyone thinks. It is now believed that growth rate, nutrition, over exercise, and trauma are more common causes. But, statistics show that %25 of the pups out of a litter born to OFA good or excellent parents will be dysplasic. The problem is that you can never really know what caused it. Although they are working to isolate the gene for CHD and develop testing for it. I was floored when this happened with this pup. I believed that if you had good parents with good peds then the chances were slim to none unless the pup was injured.

This breeding, while it has thrown some really nice pups, won't be repeated because of the size and rapid growth of these pups.

10. MoneyOfHerOwn

MoneyOfHerOwn Senior Refuge Member

Kudos to you for being a responsible breeder and taking her back! :tu