Cheap Alternative to Heartgard?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by H20Fowler, Apr 20, 2011.

1. H20Fowler

H20Fowler Refuge Member

Someone put me onto this...
    http://www.petshed.com/item/generic-heartgard

I was curious on it so did some research, talking with two different vet clinics. I learned that the generic offered by Pet Shed is the exact same stuff as heartgard...just doesn't come with the flavored, chewable tablet and supposedly tastes terrible to the dog...therefore may not be as effective if they spit it out, but just as effective for a fraction of the price if they keep it down. Another option I learned about was Tri-Heart Plus...a Heartgard generic...supposedly a tastey, chewable tablet, but priced in the middle of the PetShed generic and regular Heartgard.

Approximate Price per 12 months from what I have found (Dog >50 lbs)...
    PetShed Generic - $40 Tri-Heart Plus - $60 Heartgard Plus - $75 with shipping figured in.

More info on Tri-Heart Plus
    Combined with pyrantel pamoate, Tri-Heart? Plus is a pork liver flavored chewable anthelminthic (dewormer) used for the prevention of heartworm disease that also protects against hookworm and roundworm in dogs.Tri-Heart? Plus is a branded generic alternative to Heartgard Plus.

Any feedback on the PetShed Generic or Tri-Heart Plus? I have always used Heartgard and just curious about the alternatives. Thanks!

2. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Why not straight ivomectin by weight of the dog? You can get it at equine stores.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

There are many threads about "alternatives" for canine heartworm preventative. Often what is "discovered" is false.......and even worse unsafe. For example, it is common knowledge that pig ivermectim is cheap. Why not use it? Well many do and don't have a clue as to how. The problem is the most prominent Internet "formula" ends up with a dog getting 37 times the proper dose every month.

Another critical factor is that HeartGuard and Inteceptor (that's what I use) include an additive "med" that deals with other parasites besides heartworms. Together they form a synergistic combination.

This quote provides insight into what appears to be a simple solution. It deals with a few of the many pitfalls of "cheap" home remedies.

note: That's 272 MICROgrams of Ivermectin per month for an average size Lab (with the synergistic effect).

One milligram is 1000 micrograms. One milliliter of water weighs 1 gram which is 1000 milligrams. Can you say SMALL?! That's why most everyone over-doses with "the" Internet solution.

4. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

This^^^^^ Great post Jim!!!! :reader:reader

5. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

The higher ivermectin dose that treats heartworms, rounds, hooks, whips and mites I got from Dr J who used to post on here and it does the same thing that the Heartgard does with the wormer. The heartguard is too low to get rounds and hooks so they had to add the pyrantel and they can't increase the ivermectin because it could be toxic for Collies and Shelties. I still have the original email from Dr J from 2000.

6. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

I have two dogs with heart worms one got them while on interceptor and one while on heartgard....

THEY DON"T WORK!!!!!!! At least not in S.LA

7. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

I don't know what to use. I know of 4 dogs that got heartworms last year while on heartguard.
    I'm using trifexus...might be the same thing I have no idea. I just know it repells fleas and heartworms. We will see.

8. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to hear that Pas Bon. :(

However, finding a "cheaper" substitute and effectiveness are two very different issues.

Has anyone come up with a theory as to why effectiveness has become more of an issue down South?

9. Dale in Pa

Dale in Pa Senior Refuge Member

Home remedies have another problem. No warranty. Interceptor will pay coast of treatment providing it was purchased from a vet. I know because I had a dog on interceptor that contacted HW. I have 5 dogs 4 on interceptor and 1 on Heartgard.

10. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

I had a vet tell me that it was ...

(1) cost: the least amount of meds the cheaper the cost to produce
    (2) health: "some" breeds/dogs can experience liver problems so (less is more)
    (3) under dosed: with a pill that covers 75-100 lbs or whatever is not too much for a 75 pounder and not quit enough for a 100 pounder.
    (4) resistance: resistance caused by under dosage.

Personally I am switching to equine Ivermectin given at the recommended dosage. I will have my dogs tested for heartworms and liver function