Cheap Alternative to Heartgard?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by H20Fowler, Apr 20, 2011.

1. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I assumed that much. Same goes for me.

What I asked was if they're using 200mcg/kg of ivermectin (or similar).

2. WRL

WRL Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would say that 90% or better of people dealing with (or owning) 4 dogs or more (including pros that are dealing with dogs they don't own) give Ivermectin monthly at general worming dosages.

If you have 2 dogs or so, its not likely to be cost effective to buy the Ivermectin and mix it etc.

WRL

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Interesting.

I wonder if a poll could be conducted here that would remain on-topic and civil?

I'd be interested in the results.

Not a refuge poll expert, I'll look into it.

4. BobGlover

BobGlover Senior Refuge Member

I live in the 'heartworm capital of the world', Northeast Arkansas, and have read a lot about heartworms developing resistance to meds. I've come to the conclusion that in most (not all) cases, the failure of ivermectin is due to improper dosage or (probably) the owner not administering the dosage timely. The heartworm has a relatively long life cycle, unlike that of most insects or bacteria...this makes resistance harder to develop. Also, most canines are not on heartworm preventative of any kind; coyotes, for example. They provide a refuge of untreated heartworms which helps combat resistance.

For the past 9 years I've given my lab (and a couple of others) a monthy, year round dose of 0.1 ml/10 lbs body wt. ivermectin on bread; I mark it on my calendar and don't miss a dose. None of them have developed heartworms or have experienced adverse symptoms.

5. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

Wow!!!

6. Dr.J

Got a little free time guys, fire away with your questions and I will see what I can do to provide some answers.

7. WRL

WRL Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Wonderful to see you Dr J!!

WRL

8. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Dr J, There is a Kennel owner in S Texas that gives his dogs .250 cc each month of Ivomec , and he worms twice a year with panacur

Most people just give Ivomec in a dosage of 1 cc per 110 lbs

If given the two choices which one would you prefer and why ?

Thanks

9. Dr.J

Hey Lee,

Good to "see" you too.

10. Dr.J

43x,

Both.

Sorry but that is the honest answer. Parasitic problems are often very "geographical" or "environmental" in nature. For instance while hookworms may be prevalent in a certain geographical area they be very uncommon in another. And even within areas that they are not common they could be quite common in some "environments". For instance take two guys that live in the same county in any state. One has one dog and 300 acres for him to live on vs a breeder or trainer who may have 40 to 50 dogs on 5 acres. I hope that makes sense but when considering what is the "best" approach to treatment of parasitic problems one has to consider many factors and not just necessarily what product is the best one to "kill" a particular parasite.

If I lived in an area where heartworms and internal parasites were not abundant then your first choice would be a good one. However if I lived in that same area and I had a kennel with multiple dogs then the second option would be a better choice.

I am not gonna lie. I tried to read all of this thread but I basically just skimmed it. I think part of the "underlying" reason for your question is some's belief that the monthly Ivermectin dose of:

is excessive and could cause "toxicity" problems in some dogs. Bottom line is that is just not true (IMO) based of my twenty-four years of practice in an area smack dab in the middle of heartworm country where use of Ivermectin as a heartworm preventative at that dose has been widespread and common. As was pointed out by some of the posters in this thread I have posted on this subject before. Ivermectin is used quite commonly to treat Sarcoptic and Red Mange at MUCH higher doses on a daily basis for sometimes up to 60 days in a row with no sign of toxic effects. I am not gonna say that it is not possible but it is very uncommon in my experience. In fact I have never seen it (toxicity issues with Ivermectin) except in collies or shelties when it was improperly used.

Hope this helps answer your question.