Cheap Alternative to Heartgard?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by H20Fowler, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

I will.

2. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

Trifexis is a relatively new product. In short it is a combination of Interceptor and Comfortis. It does not repel fleas. It kills them. It does not repel heartworms either but prevents the developement of an adult infestation in dogs by killing the migrating larval stages of the heartworm.

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure what it may or may not cause but I certainly don't think it's 'toxic' per se either. I do know it's a routine treatment dose rather than a prevention one and I personally would hesitate to use it in that manner, especially with other options available. Clearly others do not and that's their choice. I see A LOT of people do things with drugs that I wouldn't do.

I think the motivations are primarily financial which is understandable but justifications and agreement with such will vary.

I do wonder if such dosing has had any role in the resistance issues.

I appreciate your insight/input.

4. Pas Bon

Pas Bon Elite Refuge Member

BobGlover what part of NEARK do you reside..I used to know Bob Glover from Paragould but he has since passed away?

5. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Dr J thanks for the response

As far as the panacur, isn't it a better product for worming than Ivomec ?

Panacur has a broader spectrum, what comes to my mind is the Protozoa, panacur will get rid of it, as far as I know Ivomec wont ?

Thanks

6. me&mylab

me&mylab Elite Refuge Member

Panacur (fenbendazole) will kill giarrdia, whereas ivermectin will not. Neither will pyrantel, the "plus" in Heartguard plus, nor will milbemycin (Interceptor).

7. WRL

WRL Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

43x,

Panacur DOES work on giardia but as a general wormer, it is not nearly as cost effective.

For those of us that live where giardia and coccidia are prevalent, there are times when panacur is the better treatment. However, remember that we (the Ivomectin users) are using it as a general wormer for the COST benefits.

It costs me approx $2 a month per dog to worm with Ivermectin. With panacur, you are looking at about $8 a month.

So if you have no outbreaks of giardia, why treat for it?

WRL

8. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

??? Heartguard cost me $75 for six months of treatments for my dog. At the local feed store I bought about 10cc of 1% solution. Which I'm guessing will last me several years giving about two drops each month. It cost me less than $2.

9. WRL

WRL Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The smallest bottles I have seen were 50 ml.

So with that, the bottle is likely to be outdated before you use it all.

Although, if you have found it in smaller doses then it would definitely work.

WRL

10. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for chiming in Dr J. I still follow your protocol. I remember buying Valbazen that you recommended and ran across something that said don't use it on dogs. Any thoughts on that?