Chessie coats

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckhunter443, Jun 23, 2017.

1. duckhunter443

duckhunter443 Refuge Member

Does the hair on chessie s grow super slow? The hair on mine has still not grown in when they shaved her at the vet and that's been couple months. Her undercoat is really shedding now hope it helps her with the heat.

2. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Yes i have had three and all their coats take time to grow back. It is the best thing you can do for them in the heat. Plus they look great when they are at full coat again. I did it every year.

3. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

Why would you shave their coat off? Unless done for medical reasons....
    It only makes them susceptible to sunburn....

ElkNuts, seiowa and blacktail like this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Did you shave for the weather? Dogs need trimmed, not shaved imo. Only time my Chessy needed shaved is when a nutria split her open and she needed stitched up.

My Chessy sheds 24/7 365.

5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

x2 I always heard that shaving a dog with an insulative coat (labs, chessies, huskies, etc) actually makes it harder for them to stay cool as well. The insulation works both ways.

ElkNuts likes this.
  6. duckhunter443

I had her spayed that's why she was shaved.

7. BigMike

BigMike Elite Refuge Member

Chessie hair is slow to grow back.... and I should have responded that to that originally.
    I figured from what you said that it was surgery, or something along those lines... that's why I said "medical reasons".
    My comments were not directed at you... more so at Cookman, who indicated it was acceptable for heat relief.
    Shaving a Ches for "summertime relief" is a myth... not good for the dog that spends alot of his time outside in the sun.

8. twall

twall Senior Refuge Member

The hair on the abdomen will be slow to grow back and we are now at that time of the year when their coats are naturally their thinnest. By fall she should be back in full coat.

Tom

9. duckhunter443

Is there special care for their coats? Some articles I read say you can damage their coat brushing too much.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you don't keep the dead hair brushed out, they start smelling like the oil cloth coats cool folks pay too much for. But some of the show gals get wound up over the notion of using something metal like a Furminator on them. I've used one on my guys about as long as they've been available without seeing coat damage, but if you're worried about it, you can always use a rubber fingered brush like the Zoom Groom - or your own fingers.

I tend to give mine a quick brushing with my fingers most any time we're in the field and save the Furminator for the major shedding when they're blowing winter or summer coats.