Chessie getting cold...what gives??

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by seiowa, Mar 21, 2019.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

my Chessie is 9 months old. It’s about 50 degrees here. Doing water retrieves, he gets cold enough he ALMOST won’t do it. Shivers and hesitates a bit. I’m worried as hunting season here gets A LOT colder than this.

What’s going on here? Btw this is all dummy work (dokken duck). Maybe for a live bird he’d gut it out? I dunno.

2. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Where are you located and how cold is the water? At 9 months if he’s not had a lot of exposure to swimming you might be rushing things if the water is cold. Good luck

T.T., ripline and Peter S. like this.
  3. Peter S.

Peter S. New Member

Could be shaking from excitement but not sure what to do to fulfill his excitment. Deep water, shallow water? Where are you located? Is he an indoor only dog or outside as well?

4. seiowa

I’m in southeast iowa. Temps have been high 40s to low 50s for a while now and steady. Water temps not sure. Point is our November’s are way colder than this. It’s deep enough he has to swim. Idk, 6-8 ft.

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

The Young and the Old do not thermo-regulate (hot or cold)
    very well at all.

CNBarron likes this.
  6. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Water training rule is water and air temperatures should add up to 120F°. If the air is
    50°F and you live in southern Iowa.....I am guessing it does not. :reader

Take your boots and socks off and check it out....up to your knees. :yes

Don Smith likes this.
  7. seiowa

I’m not disputing your logic, but how’s he supposed to handle hunting conditions following that math? Those days the total would be like 60-70, not 120

Doc E likes this.
  8. Chris Atkinson

Chris Atkinson Senior Refuge Member

There is a big difference between hunting and training. The rule of 120 helps us optimize the dog’s chance of being comfortable during water training.

Your goal now should be to lay the most solid foundation that you can in the off-season so that he’s ready during hunting season.

Right now you are probably reading it correctly. He’s cold and is not enjoying this too much.

Go to land work until the water warms up more. Don’t force this now. There is ample time to help him love water.

Believe what he’s telling you. He’s cold.

boodog, Hoytman, 4 BUCK and 3 others like this.
  9. Peter S.

Peter S. New Member

Like they said above. You’re trying to get him used to and wanting more water retrieves. The better the conditions the less distractions he has. All he’s thinking about is how cold it is. The older he gets and the more his drive is encouraged, he’ll put it out of his mind. He’ll also be older and bigger by season, allowing him to withstand more temp drops. You are thinking the right way in needing him to be used to and get used to colder water. The best way is to make that transition gradual. Start at comfortable temps and as the water temps drop keep training him. He gets older and drive is encouraged as the temps get lower.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That, and he's a Chesapeake, not an otter. Some individual dogs are be more stoic about it than others, but none enjoy enough insulation not to get cold when temps plummet. So given what I'd guess your winters, he'll little doubt get cold during late season hunts, too. I'd want to give mine the advantage of a well-fitted neoprene vest and try to use my noggin when Pup says, "Enough."

KwickLabs and seiowa like this.