Chessie with no drive?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by duckhunter443, Jul 8, 2017.

1. duckhunter443

duckhunter443 Refuge Member

I have a chessie that we have given birds in the past and she received several birds today with 22 blanks. If you have a live bird she is a machine chasing the down. However once the bird is dead she could care less if she retrieves it and show no interest in it at all even with force. Any thoughts?

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Yes.....and most are based on going back to read your previous forum posts. The solution to your problems is to find
    someone that knows how to train a young dog. I have some other thoughts, but will hold onto them until I see more
    of where this is headed. :h

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

That tells us the Chesapeake has plenty of drive. The rest is on you.

bird junkie likes this.
  4. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

Please define drive if you don't mind.

5. duckhunter443

If I release a bird that can't fly but run she will chase it down with enthusiasm and catch it and return to hand.

6. duckhunter443

I'm having help from a trainer who has experience. Never seen a dog like mine.

7. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

I looked back at your previous posts and see you obtained the dog at 6 months of age. How had the previous owners raised her. Did they work on building her retrieving desires? Does the dog have a strong hunting pedigree? Genetics do matter.

When we get a seven week old pup, we work on retrieving desire immediately. Retrieving becomes the highlight of the pup's day and remains so for many following years.

Will the pup chase a toy or a tennis ball? If so, work on a few short retrieves with a fun object. Substitute a bumper for the toy after she has been enjoying the game for a week or so. Go to dead birds from there. Unfortunately, some lines have the prey drive bred out of them. Hopefully your dog is not one of them.

Doc E likes this.
  8. duckhunter443

I bought her from a reputable breeder who has been wonderful to me. The dog was exposed to noise etc as a puppy I dont see any issues with her up bringing. Her dad is a master hunter and retrieving machine, awesome dog her mother likes to retrieve. she has some desire to retrieve as long as she hasn't got her ear pinched over that object. She will chase birds for an hour then she is ready to take a nap. Smart dog listens well to commands but not perfect 100% of the time.

9. mikehmike

mikehmike Refuge Member

Retrieving and ear pinch? Retrieving and anything negative at a young age I was always told never go together.

10. ABREOJOS

ABREOJOS Elite Refuge Member

Shooting over the dog and being a nice breeder do not have anything to do with strong prey drive. Was the pup kept in the kennel all day? Did she get retrieves everyday? Was she socialized by being exposed to lots of human attention and variety of new situations away from the kennel?

Personally, I would not consider purchasing (or obtaining for free) a dog that did have a high quantity of individual attention and training from 4 or 5 weeks of age. Unfortunately, I learned this lesson from personal experience many years ago and the experience of acquaintances more recently.