Chevy - GMC Diesel 2500HD 4X4 LTZ

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Humpback, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Humpback

Humpback New Member

Looking for good or bad input on 2013 or 2014 models.
    Thanks

2. Jed F

Jed F Senior Refuge Member

cant go wrong all my buds here own one I test drove a 2014 chevy Silverado 2500 LTZ crew cab 2 months ago unbelievable . but a little to rich for my pockets. Im looking at the LT 2 pkg ext cab. my buddy is a saleman and says you cant beat the rebates on the left over 2013s

3. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Diesel or gas? Either way you can't go wrong. I had an 05 Silverado LT Gas for 5 years and loved it. Always did what I wanted it to and was super reliable. I have an 09 Duramax LTZ now and wouldn't trade it for the world. The only complaint I have diesel-wise on the newer models is the emissions garbage they're forced to be putting in them now. The new ones are even worse with emissions stuff than my 09. They even require diesel exhaust fluid to reduce emissions. Look it up, I'm not joking... Nonetheless, gas or diesel, GM trucks are the way to go in my book. Got a buddy looking to buy a gas 2014 soon as well. You won't be disappointed!

4. Ryan Hill

Ryan Hill Refuge Member

Definitely didn't see you put diesel in your thread title. Don't know how I missed it but either way you'll love a new diesel with the exception of you having to put exhaust fluid in because you've run out and lost power...

5. labguy

labguy Refuge Member

I have a gmc that takes def. Not a big deal, it gives u plenty of warning if its getting low. You can buy it on sale for about $$3 a gallon put it in your self and lasts about 5thousand miles. I have no problem. would not trade for any gas truck...

6. dbl bbl

dbl bbl Senior Refuge Member

We have 7 Duramax trucks in our fleet, ranging from '08 to '13. One '09 has 235000 miles on it. Never a single engine or transmission problem. My company is a heavy civil construction company mainly building new roads. They see there share of off-road work and hauling big loads.
    I also have and '07 6.0. Great truck, lacks power next to the Duramax and is terrible on mileage.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

One question I have is why does the average person need a diesel in the first place. I can understand the extra power and fuel mileage thing but for the average person the savings just isn't there anymore.
    Price difference between a new gas vs diesel is around $10,000 in most areas, diesel fuel is 60-70 cents a gallon higher and then you have to add the DEF in to that.
    Unless you drive 50,000 miles a year or tow everyday, I can't see any savings.

I figured it out before I bought my F 250 new and I would about break even after 7 years if I had bought the diesel, by that time I would hope I bought a new truck.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

10Ga, you need to define 'average'. I am a pretty average guy, but I needed a diesel. Obviously not all the time, or even most of the time, but I did have a large toy hauler back then. Mine is a 99 F-350. I only got the 350 because they didn't have a 250 on the lot like I wanted, and they priced it down to match the 250 price. Also, back then, diesel was a LOT cheaper, and I got/get decent mileage.

I still have it, 190,000 miles later, with no problems that were not under warranty. My daily driver is a little Zuk Samurai. I no longer need to haul big stuff, even occasionally, and a while back I though I was going to get some stupid size insurance money, from a death in the family. I was going to trade the monster in, and get a 150. Dad in Law decided to keep the money, which is fine, and I don't want payments, so I didn't move up.

9. labguy

labguy Refuge Member

One more thing on the diesel is the value, after 200k miles and several years of ownership you will still get thousands for your trade.

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

It has nothing to do with savings, if that's how it worked we wouldn't need LTZ's! In most cases it's not need either as many of the ones I sold would likely never see a trailer, and if it did it was a bass boat. Lots of guys just like them.
    I hope the new smaller diesels become much more common so I can find a used one some day! The costs are ridiculous, for any of them.