Chevy Silverado or GMC Silverado 4x4?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Will be in the market for a new pickup in a couple of years. I'm leaning to these two..had a Dodge and Ford previously, serious problems with those and I don't want either. My 2004 1500 GMC Sierra 4x4 WT 5.3 L ext. cab has been great, albeit some minor instrument light display and function anomalies but I can live with that. Great for trailering both the duck boat and popup camper. I'd like input from those who've had one or the other or both vehicle types. Not crazy about the GMC bailout but they make a good product; my friend drives a Silverado and is very happy with that. I did the search function and found plenty of reviews on things like Ford v. Chevy but not Chevy v. GMC. Thank you!

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I think if I was planning on buying a truck in 2 years I'd ask this question in about 18 to 22 months...

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Just pick whatever trim package and styling you like best; in all reality it's the same truck.

4. Glades Ranger

Ok, 10-4. I will pick the Work Truck edition, all those "trims" seem like a waste.

5. cougfan316

cougfan316 Senior Refuge Member

I'd agree on waiting till you're ready to buy. Especially if buying new. I know the chevy's will get a full redesign for the 2016 year according to my local dealer. They have to drop some weight like the fords did to meet epa mpg requirements.

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

Like my father use to say "One uses lock washers and the other one doesn't."

He was an old school wrench born in 1915.

7. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Comparably equipped the GMC is 4-5 thousand more expensive.

8. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

Not used. Or even lightly used. In my area I'm finding used GMCs even or a little below in price. And I look A LOT.

Local Sid Dillons had a few that were cheaper new than some used Chevys too. Think they were offloading the 14s.

WHY would they do a full redesign 2 years after a full redesign?

9. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

GMC's are a step up over Chevy in styling and subsequently price. That's a fact regardless of what you are seeing at the used car lot. I have owned three of each over the last 25 years and always shop hard when I buy. Base price is always higher on the GMC's when comparably equipped. The better over all deal is dependent on the dealers in the area and what special offerings the specific brand is willing to give at the time of purchase.

10. Glades Ranger

Ok, ducaholic, your input is good. As far as styling, I still find Ford ugly, Dodge and Toyota (pricey) pretentious, and both gmc/chevy body styles more appealing. The stock 5.3 vortec 8 cylinder has been a real good experience. Even as I age (61) I like manual windows and the simplicity of a WT level trim- can't justify all those plastic trim feel-good xtras. Give me 4x4, manual lever shift, limited slip differential, A/C, tow package and I am good.When I decided to install my own CD radio I found out I needed some dang dealer code, that sucked but I got around it.The only thing I would like is a factory installed electric brake controller for my popup trailer, but if too expensive I will add on my own. Why don't they ever equip new vehicles with some decent tires? Sorry to ******, but I am entitled to.:D