Chevy Silverado or GMC Silverado 4x4?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Apr 26, 2015.

1. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Yeah...I have 200,00 miles on an 2010 model and my company pays me 1.10 per mile for work related travel. Of the 200,00 miles 50,000 miles was billable. So I buy one every 5-6 years.

2. ducaholic

Other than the price...

3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Nice job. Wish I got that remuneration too. I'd think new truck faster in that scenario. Luckily the house is paid off, just paying taxes but those go up most years so still an eroding economic base. The duck boat/motor were bought up front and luckily the jon boat and trailer have been almost maintenance-free, and my LT has cost very little to operate. These dang trucks are overvalued like houses have been. Thank goodness for good cheap domestic brew.:tu

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Would you not get paid if you continued to drive it? :scratch

5. ducaholic

The abilty to drive something new with increased reliability is something I like.

6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Who doesn't? I just have a hard time seeing that as a benefit of a never ending car payment myself. A 5 yr old truck even with that many miles should still be very reliable, unless it's been beaten to death in the oil fields or something. Then again I'm the kinda guy that doesn't mind fixing a few things here and there either.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 LTE crew cab with the All Terrain package and it is junk. I thought this would be a great truck and I'd have it for a long time but sadly I was wrong. I'm looking to sell, but I have no idea what direction I'm going.

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Define "junk"

9. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Man, compared to my previous Dodge Ram '95 and Ford Bronco '84, my 2004 5.3 8 GMC sierra has been great, up to 102, 000 miles...drive the wife's vehicle more in summer so that's why I don't have that many miles on it like others. Why can't Toyota get better fuel mileage out of their Tundra? A bit ugly, but mostly positive reviews on that- kind of like my Benelli Supernova 12 ga. ugly but reliable.:D

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Said this in the past but I will reiterate, I was a GM buyer for a very long time, aside from cars that I or the wife owned that were all GM, I've had 6 Chevy or GMC pick ups, 5 of them Dually's that we bought new.
    We had one experience with a 3500 Dodge Dually and it was the biggest piece of junk I ever owned, the truck went under Lemon Law after about the 14th time we brought it back to the dealer for one thing or another having to fixed adjusted or replaced. We went to arbitration and the Chrysler rep basically told us we would have to sue them to get our money back, which basically meant screw you we got your money now live with, so that was the end of our brief 1 year stint with Dodge, we traded for a GMC dually and lost our butts on that Dodge.
    Fast forward to a few years ago and I was looking for another new pick up to replace my well worn 3500 Chevy, very good truck, but it was going on 13 years old and it was time for a new one.
    Test drove around 5 different 2500 HD GMC's and Chevrolets, OK so they are alright, but as I have stated GM seems to think they are selling Gold plated trucks these days and wouldn't deal on the pricing.
    Rest of the story, wife drags me to a Ford dealer drove an new F 250, went home with the F 250 that evening. Not only did the Ford dealer deal on the price but the F 250 felt like I was riding in a truck not a large car like the 2500 GM trucks did.
    Maybe not junk, but if I'm paying for truck I want something that drives and feels like a truck and not like a large car with a pick up bed in the back, spongy soft suspension and no clearance for tires in the wheel wells if I so desire to put larger ones on there.