Chevy Silverado or GMC Silverado 4x4?

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That's all well and good but nothing more than preference as many like the plush car like ride(I'm with you myself, I like a solid truck feel). I just wondered what his idea of junk was as it varies considerably depending on the person. Some consider too soft a ride, not as many features, overpriced, etc to be junk, where others feel junk means it won't run right, has mechanical problems, electrical issues, etc. Those are two vastly different scenarios imo yet often described by the same term. I wasn't arguing just clarifying really.

2. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

Mechanical issues and craftsmanship.

This truck has 35k miles on it...

Transmission has slipped twice within a few minutes of start up and driving. My drivers door has almost fallen off twice. I finally had enough and used locktite on the hinge bolts. Rear passenger door (crew cab) has never shut correctly. Body panels are paper thin. I was leaning against the front fender having a conversation with a buddy...leaning, not rocking or anything and put a big dent in the fender. Neither one of us could believe it happened. Below freezing temps and 50% of the time I start the truck I am greeted with "Engine Power Reduced Service Traction Control Service Stabilitrack". Broken exhaust hangers...this truck has never been offroad or hit anything with the undercarriage. Chrome on interior door handles completely chipped off. Out of no where the OnStar system will come on, start asking me to explain my problem, despite what is said it will not go off and there is no way to turn it off without shutting down the truck and removing the key from the ignition and it will go away. I do not subscribe to the onstar system. Turn signals in the mirrors ... one has completely stopped working.

The coupe de grace is that now it is eating oil due to the dreaded oil consumption issue with the Active Fuel Management (Service bulletin #10-06-01-008G).

Sure lots of "little" things, but not what you expect out of a 45k truck with 35k miles on it. It has a big door dent from being hit in my parking garage that is being fixed next week and after that it goes on the chopping block. Guess I'm gonna see what Ford has to offer. :h

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Sorry, man. That sounds something like my experience with the Dodge. Transmission went first, then the A/C, sucked gas big time, but when it ran it was good in the mud. I think I will look again at the Toyota. My wife's Highlander has been good since 2009.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yup, I'd probably call that junk! I'm with glades though in that that kind of stuff has been my experience with Dodge/Chrysler stuff. The Cummins is a fine engine but the rest of the truck falls short.

5. itallushrt

itallushrt Elite Refuge Member

I had a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ. If it could break...it did.

In 2 years...head gasket blew, freeze out plugs rusted out, spider gears in rear end ate themselves twice, throw out bearing in clutch blew up and destroyed new pressure plate, blah blah blah ... biggest POS I've ever seen. The day I finally got rid of it I swore I'd never own another Chrysler product the rest of my life.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Thinking about it, in my case it was more disappointment with the loss of quality with GM more than anything else. Always had good luck with GM trucks and they served me well. Just now it's a whole new thing, they seem to cut corners anywhere they can, your gonna pay out the Wazoo for any of them today.
    Just seemed like Ford is making a whole lot better truck. so far absolutely no problems with the truck in three years. Scratch that I did replace a turn signal bulb...cost me $1.

7. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

I agree Ford is making a much better product, but tarnation, when are they ever going to break that "boxy" look?? My first car, a 1969 Ford Falcon, was a thing of beauty in comparison.

8. NR

NR Elite Refuge Member

Wife drives a 2011 half ton silverado. I can't believe how poorly it pulls an empty flatbed trailer (it's even worse with any kind of load like my fishing boat, obviously) & how bad the gas mileage is under all conditions.

I washed it once this winter and it's already got a ton of little rust spots all over the body. (Her truck, she usually washes it)

Gutless & pure junk in my opinion