Chewing Home Remedy?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by TwoWetDogz, Dec 26, 2017.

1. TwoWetDogz

TwoWetDogz Senior Refuge Member

Trying to get my 12 week old lab to stop chewing on his check cord/leashes. Does well with the short leashes, but the longer check cords, when he's farther away, are more of a challenge.

I have found some commercial products that say they are a bitter flavor to the dog, which you can spray on the leash to help deter them from chewing, but wondering if anybody has any suggestions of something I could just mix up myself that will be safe for the dog.

Thanks

2. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Twelve week pups chew everything. Isn't a check cord premature at the pups age?

There is bitter apple or Tabasco.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

No, it is not. :no

Pounce wore one "all the time". :tu

eight weeks
    [​IMG]

eight weeks
    [​IMG]

two+ months
    [​IMG]

five months
    [​IMG]

six months
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  4. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Refuge Member

50/50 mix of white vinegar and apple cider vinegar has worked well for me. It will stink up what, and where, ever you spray it though

5. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

How far do you have to dive for the thing!?!? Fifty feet may not be long enough for me catch. Too slow... And I don't bounce very well. LOL.
    Current dog/pup would eat one between every meal if left alone. He's chewing evil.

6. Buckhunter99

Buckhunter99 Refuge Member

My pup did the same thing and I bought the bitter apple spray and it helped some but not 100%. Honestly it just took time for her to grow out of it.

7. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I couldn't find a very good solution other than constant vigilance when the puppy is in the chewing stage. Do your best to keep as many chewable items out of range and be constantly aware of where the puppy is.Pup stays in crate when extreme supervision is not an option. The bitter stuff works with some but I had one that seemed to like it. Chewed the crap out of a chair leg which had been slathered with a bitter substance. When caught, he sat smiling with bitter foam flecked lips.

8. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

I have had lab pups that chewed table and chair legs. I made a paste of cayenne pepper and water to put on the legs. That ended that. Some times I would pick up the water dish as well.

I had a gsp that I always ran on a check cord to slow her down. One opening day waiting for opening hour I had the check cord stuck through a belt loop. She got wind of pheasant and off she went and so did the belt loop. She cleared that 10 acre field of birds in nothing flat. She was so fast that a lot of times she would over run and flush a bird before she could stop to point.

9. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

Regarding the leash chewing thing, I am about to open myself up to trouble. The pro who tutored me offered a solution which worked with my dog. She told that when the dog had the leash in his mouth, I should hold the leash with a hand on each side of the jaws. Move the hands toward the dog's snout to cause some slack. Snap the leash away from each side sharply. This actually worked pretty quickly. It doesn't need to be brutal, just enough to get the point across.

10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Don't feel bad, a quick little snap or two on my end of the leash has always nipped that common-as-pups problem in the bud at our house in very short order. But then, too, we've never let it become a habit that needed broken.