Chewing Home Remedy?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by TwoWetDogz, Dec 26, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

No diving, no catching, some stepping on early......and the area is rarely small or familiar. Using wide open
    terrain makes you the only focus. In addition, most of the time, the pup is very engaged.....enough so as to
    seek more fun together. When walking on lead there are other things to pay attention to as I am always carrying
    a bumper and/or playing a game. The pup's mind is far removed from chewing on a lead.

As far as in the house, if not directly being supervised a young pup is in his/her crate (den).

This is a YouTube video of my last pup at five months old. I decided to train with a different program which was quite
    a change from what had been done before. The initial difference was in early use of the sit command. The only time
    sit is used is when the dog is sitting (doing the right thing). My initial struggle was accepting that repeating was not
    nagging because she is already doing what is supposed to be done - re-enforcing. Later the collar is
    used the same way (very low levels). To some extent, reaching a balance on this required time.

The next time around (if there is another pup), the process will be much more seamless and comfortable.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  2. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

That was exactly my experience also. Only used it to help with the leash chewing. I always hear people mention labs chewing furniture and such. We have never had that problem but we closely supervised our pup. She never had a chance to chew anything in the house.

3. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Except for some stepping on early (or early stepping on) why the need for a check cord?

4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

In Hillmann's training program, teaching is accompanied by re-enforcing what the pup (dog) is doing
    correctly. Therefore, it is possible to initially re-enforce "sit" by simple applying slight tugs on the lead
    and/or slightly pushing down into a sit position (showing;teaching the sit position). Once the action
    is introduced. This is quickly transitioned to very low nicks with the e-collar to re-enforce what the
    pup is doing correctly. Also, slight tugs on the pup when "playing the game" tend to refocus a pup
    on you and thus creating a responsive pup. With finesse, this makes it possible to reduce distractions.

In addition, during this phase, it is necessary to introduce a fun, "game like" atmosphere. As the
    trainer, teaching is enhanced when you become exciting and fun to be with.

Also, slight, well time tugs on a pup's collar are later used to re-enforce the "here" command and then
    transitioned to low level e-collar re-enforcement. However, "here" is not taught and re-enforced until
    the sit command is well entrenched. This eliminates confusion by avoiding the trap of teaching too
    many conditioned responses at the same time.

However, an engaged pup will naturally tend to come back to you because they thrive in the atmosphere
    you have created as the deliverer of "fun". They like you and what you provide.

Reducing distractions is not the same as making corrections. In fact, there are no corrections used
    on a young pup. Everything revolves around maintaining a "game". The pup is manipulate by using
    his excitement and desire to play with you. Responsiveness is a "two way street" and focusing on this
    relationship early creates a pup that physically says "That was fun! What's next?". Eye contact with a
    pup is very cool. Engagement is the "glue" to teaching.

The checkcord when used judiciously early on reminds the pup of where you are and restores focus
    to the "game".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018