Chili

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by tcc, Feb 9, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Let's talk chili recipes. I'm gonna make a big pot thus weekend for church and it's one thing I'm not very good at. I want a really good basic Texas style chili--- no beans, just deep rich flavorful beef(although I'll probably add some smoked pork butt), tomatoes, onions , etc.
    What's your favorites?

olepal and goosnit like this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

From another site..

5 lbs of chili ground beef or venison, haven't tried duck/goose yet.
    - 1 lb "Hot" breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean kinda stuff)
    Brown meat and drain fat.

- 2 16 oz cans of Tomato Sauce
    - 2 cans chicken broth
    - 2 cans of beef broth
    - 1 can "hot" rotel
    - 1 can diced Tomatoes ( add more if you like)
    - 6 oz chili powder (Red Meskin, Anaheim, or your favorite)
    - 2 Tbls garlic powder
    - 1 oz salt
    - 1/2 Tbls black pepper
    - 1 oz cumin
    - 1 tbsp cayenne pepper ( a little more if you want it hot)
    - 2 Tbls onion powder
    - 1 Tbls Sriracha chili sauce ( add more if your adventurous)
    - 1/3 cup of ketchup (don't laugh)

Mix all ingredients in a large crockpot or stockpot, add browned meat and simmer for about 2 hrs, stirring occasionally.

I have used this in local chili contests, 1st place each time.

3. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Ground venison, whole chopped onion, crushed tomatoes with basil, rotel, salsa, chili powder, small can of white corn(for color and a nice little sweet pop every now and again while chewing) a pack of Mccormicks chili seasoning.....I do use bush's hot chili starter which contains beans.

OneShotBandit and Luigi Daniele like this.
  4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

How many does that serve Native?
    I need to feed 40-50.

No venison available or that's what I'd use for sure. I am going to grind my own peppers though, or make a puree with them.

5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Don’t really have a specific recipe for you, but one thing I always appreciate in a good chili is corn. I realize that’s not for everyone but I think it can really up the game a little bit.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I really don't know. They tend to keep coming back for 2nds and 3rds. Figure 1/2lb of meat per person, so, 10? I have only made it for contests. Wife can't handle spicy food. Even pepper is off limits for her.

I know you don't want beans, and I TOTALLY agree with that, but beans would stretch that out x2

7. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Yeah pretty set on no beans. I usually allow for about 1/2lb per myself but with all the other stuff that goes in a chili I figured That's throw it off. Maybe I'll just go with 1/4-1/3.

8. Native NV Ducker

I originally was going to say 1/4lb, but those ingredients are 'starting' weights. After it cooks down, everything gets smaller.

Fair warning. It is REALLY good. They probably will start with a dainty portion, but they will come back.

It was funny at the contests. 15-20 pots of chili. The judges went first, taking a tiny cup (sample size) to taste. On many of them, they tasted once, then moved on. On mine, they finished what was in their cup. When it came time to 'eat', they went right to mine. Same scenario with the people there to eat chili. Small taste of all of em, then to mine to fill up their bowl.

BTW, I am not bragging about my prowess as a cook. I AM a good cook, but this is not my recipe.

goosnit, tcc and Luigi Daniele like this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm not suggesting the chili based stew recipes listed aren't delicious, I'm sure they are, but chili shouldn't have vegetables cooked in. Onion might be alright. In a pinch, start with Carrol Shelby's Chili Mix. It really is a very solid seasoning mix for chili. It's not quite as hot as I like, but if you use all of the little hot pack, it's all most folks can take. When I make it, I put in the suggested amount of ground beef or venison, and then I add the same weight of sliced round steak. Having the bigger pieces of meat makes a real difference.

tcc likes this.
  10. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I do a 2-3 lb version, which serves 6 generously.

tcc likes this.