Chili

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by tcc, Feb 9, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I was gonna use a mix of course ground beef and carne picada, and some finely chopped pulled pork, to vary the texture up a little.
    I'm not big on veggies in chili either; I like a well seasoned beefy chili. I do like caramelized onions though. The seasoning is what I have yet to master.
    I may give Native's recipe a shot, it looks promising.

2. Whistle

Whistle Senior Refuge Member

This is Dallas Keith's "DK Chili". I've won contests with this recipie--best chili I've ever had.

callinfowl likes this.
  3. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Chili gotta have corn in it and be spicy
    corn and making my nose run always make for good chili.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

That is DK from the Refuge forums TX page recipe and the best chili I have ever had bar none.
    Chop up a sweet Vidalia onion, get a tub of good Mexican sour cream and grate a block of good sharp cheddar cheese don't buy that pre-shredded cheddar crap. Then make or buy some homemade or freshly made corn tortillas and a case of Shiner Bock bottles few good friends a bottle Fortaleza Anejo or Patron Anejo and a few cigars and bottle of Tum's and your set for the night.:z:yes:l:tu

Just make it, trust me on this one! :tu:tu:tu

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

That is similar to how I make my Texas "chili, w/o beans, except, I don't use rotel, or Sirachi, I'll start with freshly ground brisket, and add 1/2 the chili powder ( normally gebharts, or Williams) to it before I brown it off. it really intensifies the depth of flavor. i also make a slurry with water and masa Harina that i'll add to finish and thicken the dish.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  6. callinfowl

If your making this for people that don't like hot things I recommend that you use mild sausage, mild Rotel, 1/2 Tbs sriracha , 1/2 Tbs of Cayen or less, the flavor is coming from the chili powder, the heat is from the Cayen and sriracha mainly though. I've made it both ways, I actually like things really spicy, my family not so much so I make the mild version then more heat at the table with condomints and diced fresh Jap peppers. They both turn out amazing every single time.:yes:yes:yes
    Oh, it makes a pretty good size pot so you can either cut the recipe in half or go in knowing that you will have plenty to freeze. And it last up to a yr vaccum sealed in the freezer, I found a bag that slid behind something and it was still awesome a year later.
    I make the full batch and give some to friends and family and still have enough to freeze.
    ( everyone loves it.) :yes:yes:yes

7. callinfowl

I add a 2 to 3 table spoons of corn flower to the meat while it's browning to make a redneck roux.:tu

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Correct. I could not remember the name.

9. callinfowl

I grill corn then remove it from the cob and set out a bowl on the table so people can add it if they want to.
    It like grilled corn in my chili as well.:tu

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

And that's appropriate. I like a whole green chili in mine.

callinfowl likes this.