Chiwapa Millet

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KSU86, Jan 31, 2013.

1. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I am looking for feedback from everyone regarding their experience with Chiwapa Millet.

My experience - I drilled 50lbs in Central KS marsh, late May. By mid-June, the stand looked great. July?s 110 degree temps/severe drought nearly killed it, but a milder August brought it back to life. An early October frost wiped out what few heads I had.

I simply can?t make any conclusion given mother natures' nasty treatment whether the ducks flock to it.

I?m getting amped up to get back on the tractor and try it all again. Early plan is to ditch my ?normal? Corn/Milo stands and embark on a herculean Jap/Brown-Top/Chiwapa Millet buffet.. KS weather has been brutal on Corn.

2. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

My experience with Chiwapa was not a good one. Planted it a few years ago and it made the most unbelievable crop, however, the stems are so ridgid that it stands tall late into the fall. The blackbirds ate every seed before the ducks got a chance. I won't make that mistake again, Chiwapa takes 120 days to make so the chances of a drought affecting it are a lot greater than with other millets. I now plant a blend of Japanese, German foxtail, and Brown Top Millets. 45-60 days and its done.

3. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

I agree with your logic on the 45/60 day maturation vs 120. Shortening the timeframe to maturity has to be the way to go in KS. I have one 50lb bag of Chiwapa held over from last year. Anythought on optimum blend of the other millets..Jap/Foxtail/Browntop?

4. Crow Creek

Crow Creek Refuge Member

I mix it 50% Japanese 25% Foxtail 25% Brown Top. I drill it in 25-30# per acre.

5. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

This is my thought also but... In KS and MO what seems to me is you are planting the millet in the hottest driest part of summer. If you want it ripe at Nov. 1 you are planting in August, am I right on that?

Will it stay around and be good food if you plant it in May to get rain etc. or be long gone. Or only good for teal season.
    Or do you just wait and if you can't pump close the gates in Oct?

6. MALLARD MAGICIAN

MALLARD MAGICIAN Elite Refuge Member

Guys your thinking is reversed to reality. Longer seasoned, slower maturing plants can withstand droughts or other temporary stress much better then the short season, fast maturing plants.

Why? Because the longer season crop is going thru it's different growth stages at a slower pace. If a stress hits during one of those critical periods you have more days for that plant to wait on improved conditions before it gives up and races forward to the next stages, headed to maturity. A plant's goal is to produce seed, if stressed too hard for too long it will do all it can to produce seed before dying. With short season crops, the days required for each stage of growth are very short...have a stress during a critical stage and 1-3 stages can be passed by before improved conditions come about. Once stages are skipped there is no going backwards and yield will be significantly reduced by those missed stages, whereas a longer season plant held fast having time to wait for better conditions and then recoups and goes forward making a slightly reduced yield but yet very acceptable one.

I fully understand the harsh few summers you all have dealt with out West. Without some help some where along the way neither type is going to survive, but if drought tolerance is what your chasing then chase it with the turtle not the hare.
    If the weather has been more favorable in late summer / early fall as of late, then the shorter season stuff may be your best bet....but with weather it's all a BET.

7. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

Each year makes me buy into MM's theory more and more.

8. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

Sir, where can I buy Foxtail and Brown top to mix with my Japanese millet? Thank you.

9. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

MM is right. also if the blackbirds ate your chiwapa out they are gonna eat your jap out plain and simple you probably just dont have enought plots to withstand feeding nature..kinda like corn you have to plant enough for the coons,deer, and turkey.. Drought is drought and that is exactly why we started planting chiwapa. the advantage with the chiwapa is anywhere you dont get a stand you can folow up with other millet plantings later in the summer. You get two chances rather than 1. the seed heads were huge and the ducks loved it same as jap. I like it cause it stood up to flooding much better than my jap. we do both and usually use the jap in the holes we hunt since it is a much shorter in height. the duck didnt really like chiwapa you will see in my pics so i wouldnt plant it!!!!!!!!

the reason this place is so valuable?? a crop consultant/farmer here to answer any questions we have way over our heads. MM has been helping me with my plots boys for the better part of 10 yrs. he knows his sh1t!!!!! i know i probably dont say it enough mm but thanks a ton!!!!!!!!

more importantly my boys and there friends say THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]