Chiwapa Millet

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KSU86, Jan 31, 2013.

1. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

we dont ever go near our food plots once we flood so we dont have pics. our ducks sit on our plots and never see a human or a vehicle or boat. we hunt in the flooded timber and NEVER bump them off of our food. makes for nice hunts when the birds arent spooky at all.

2. KSU86

KSU86 Senior Refuge Member

roughly how many acres separate your refuge plots from your hunting timber?

3. da fowl slayer

Russ
    they border each other 1 continuos body of water. 60-70 acres of open ground on south end with 250 acres of flooded timber on north end and we access our holes from the north end of the farm.

4. KSU86

Is it safe to assume your foodplot/roost is close enough to the timber whereby the ducks move off the footplot/roost when your hunting the timber? However, they aren't pressured enough to high-tail it too Mississippi? I am developing two marshes far enough apart where I hope that will be the case. Are ducks considered "pressured" when they hear gunfire +/- a quarter mile away?

5. da fowl slayer

Yea they hear the shooting and all my neighbors hunt as well. Way more shooting then We hear and see in ks. The ducks because they have never been shot In The corn. They make their home there and they just get up daily and Cruz and a few groups mess up daily and do it were we be sat up at

Distance is 1/4 mile closest thru woods and can be 3/4 mi away. That's a good ways thru flooded timber. My next project is to convert farm to 20ga only in the woods. My kids just moved up and they love them 12's. not neccesary at all though

6. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Here is a picture some of our millet and it was about 2-3 ft tall. We don't get the heat units in the northwest and it usually warms up in about July getting into the 80's then. The plants headed out nice but never had full seed heads as we had 89 days without rain so we burned up everything that was planted. Pretty much like the rest of the country.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dcajun

Dcajun New Member

Men,
    I'm new to The Refuge and the forum, so, if I make a wrong turn feel free to
    criticize.
    First:
    I am a hunter and life long resident of Southern Louisiana, where I hunt mainly ducks. I have been experimenting with planting for ducks and saw this post about Chiwapa Millet. I am by far a farmer and most of my attempts to plant,
    !anything! has been met with failure. Unlike most of you, our problem down south is too much moisture. I am planting pumped off marsh pasture land. I have an issue with an invasive type of bermuda grass (good for cattle, terrible to kill) but I'm working on that. Here's the question, other than rice, any suggestions on planting a moist soil.
    Second:
    This is so loaded and age old, I'm almost afraid to ask. First, !I've heard!, that states like Missouri, Kentucky, etc. have been building a lot of un-huntable (government funded) preserves like DU does. I am a member of DU, so I'm not bashing them or the Missouri State Government. I've just got to know, that in one of the coldest years ever, why the ducks didn't end up
    in Louisiana. Our state does an aerial survey, and in late November our count of all ducks was shockingly low. Are you guys (duck hunters, farmers) planting so much feed that it is affecting the flyway? Are there really all these refuges around you guys where ducks can rest (no shotguns)?
    It's really driving us crazy down here trying to figure it out!!!! Before you
    answer, remember this is a friendly question, no accusations, let's talk!!!
    Dcajun

8. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

I hunt in Illinois and Missouri both public and private ground and I have not found any of these so called "unhuntable refuges". Missouri has developed some fantastic public hunting areas that are managed for waterfowl but they are hunted every day of the season. The surveys from these areas this year were no higher than in years past and by December 7th most of these places had froze up and lost their birds. Would have expected you all to have had some good shooting after that.

9. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

really :confused:grandpass is hunted but not the refuge part they hold 80000 to 360000 at a time and when it gets cold they leave for a short time then a slight warm up there back so I can see why them southern boys aint seen the ducks they should . :mad: then grandpass has been known to pump after season [they say for bird watchers ] and these mild winters cant help but this year you would think they would show up but maybe were [ Missouri refuge system ] is getting to many ducks staying to long :confused:

10. KSU86

I've only been a duck addict since 2000, owned/developed property for ducks since 2006, so I'm going to cash-out, as far as being an expect. I believe mother nature dictates more about the migration than man. However, I plant decent food for the ducks (as do most of my neighbors) and in most cases, we try to pick up and be out of the marsh by 9:00 a:m. Our "goal" is to chase as few to Oklahoma/Texas, as possible. I don't have enough experience to say if we are successful, but make no mistake - it is a goal.