Chiwapa Millet

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by KSU86, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

We have a small six acre flooded area in Tenn that is really not on any natural duck migration corridors. It is a draw down in late winter and plant in early summer an d then flood in november arrangement. I have planted every seed known to man (it seems)in the forty years we have had this place.(we built the dam and water control structures) and a spring creek originating on the property feeds the water source. This year we palnted corn for the first time and deer devastated it. Tradtionally our best crops have been hybrid mil0s and wgf.

year before this I had a bad experience with chiwapa millet too. I talked at length with the biologist for the seed company prior to purchasing the seed (which is relatively expensive and very expensive to ship). Planted seed. Had decent moisture but got very little germination , or at least l couldnt tell what was just grass and what was chiwapa.. Like one stalk every two feet . In some areas l planted solid ten foot wide strips /rows of the chiwapa and then planted WGF in a ten foot strip and then other strips of milo. The chiwapa just didn't happen. I talked to the biologist as the summer progressed and sent him pictures of the plants, asking if this was the chiwapa, and he said he could not identify it in young stages from other grasses or millets or perhaps volunteer stuff....this went on until it was too late to tell what was what and too late to replant. it became obvious that the chiwapa crop had 90 per cent failed as fall rolled around. The biologist had no explanation, was nice to offer a discount on seed if we would try it again, but it was not worth the risk of losing a significant crop portion to me so we did not replant it. Those are the facts.

2. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

360,000 out of a estimated 46 million is .78%. Probably not the reason they aren't seeing as many ducks. Check the band recovery data at flyways.us and note that there has not been any significant increase in recovery around mid MO. Looks like the biggest concentration is still in Arkansas and you can see the shift out of LA.
    I would guess that as was said earlier that weather is still the most important factor along with water and food for their migrating pattern. If you figure it out let me know as we went from our best year in 2012 to our worst year in 2013 and I am right next to one of Illinois's finest duck parks.

3. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

No water no ducks period. After 2012 we learned we will never be without water ever again.

4. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

agreed I think it is weather and water thing but we do have 15 refuges in Missouri .

5. DagoDucks

DagoDucks Senior Refuge Member

And we have had most of those 15 for a long time. Can you name the newest and when they were added? I don't know, I am asking? And some of those newer areas such as the BK Leach addition and Columbia Bottoms don't hold enough birds to matter. I would think that Four Rivers and Eagle Bluffs are the next oldest??

6. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

I really couldn't say I really don't keep up that much haven't been to one in 20 plus years and wont but I know its only .78 but if your the one waiting for that . 78 it means a lot for your season:yes

7. Big Thom

Big Thom New Member

DFS: I lve thsoe pics of you and your kids. Lots of smiles - and reat memories - there.
    You are a rich man beyond your dreams.

8. Fowlballer

Fowlballer Elite Refuge Member

I remember hunting Four Rivers when I was in college. The HQ was the size of an outhouse. I am guessing that was 1990 or 1991. Not much has changed at Schell since I was a kid except all the timber in A-pool died. The new manager is making some great changes.