Choke and shell for Benelli 20ga M2?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Banded1, May 16, 2017.

1. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Any recommendations? Taking a woman for turkeys and she wants to shoot her own gun. It hasn't been patterened and would like a starting point if anyone has one. Thanks!

2. huntin14

huntin14 Senior Refuge Member

My M2 patterned just fine with 1.25 and 1oz load of #6's lead (all ammo brands I ran through it) out to 30-35yards with the factory full choke.
    Shots 30yards and under would do fine with factory full and any #7.5 shot, 1oz would be best.
    These will work just fine for in the decoys turkey action.
    I believe most lead #6 shot with a dense enough pattern is deadly to around 40 yards.
    Much past that, and you need to go to #5 shot.
    I would not recommend going to shot sizes larger than #5 in the 20ga due to less payloads lead to less pattern density.
    In the 20ga you need as small of shot that you can get by with for the ranges you will be shooting for the densest patterns.

Depending on the range you will be shooting, you might be able to get by with whatever ammo you have laying around in #7.5-#5shot.
    If you plan to purchase true lead turkey loads, they are not that expensive and do come with plated lead shot and wads designed for tighter patterns.
    Stick to the premium loads. Examples: Remington Premier, Winchester Double X, Federal Premium.

If you want a 40 yard plus turkey load, you will have to do some pattern work with multiple shells and choke combo's.
    "Almost" any High density (Heavier than lead) shot in #6 or #7 should do well with most well known aftermarket choke tube companies. I have had great luck with Trulock, Carlsons, and Briely extended turkey chokes. There are lots of others that make some higher end ($) turkey chokes.
    Just remember, a 40 yard plus killing pattern is very small at 10-15yards and can lead to a close encounter miss.
    So, I would set up the woman for the best possible killing pattern for the range you "plan" for her to shoot and stick to it.
    If the bird hangs up, shoot it with your 12ga setup.

We want to go to the woods with the tightest, longest killing pattern as possible 99% of the time for that 40-50yard wary Tom. For most good decoying turkey action (15 yards) an IC choke and AA #7.5 will get it done.

Buttesmacker likes this.
  3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

My wife uses a factory modified in her Benelli montefeltro with Remington Hevi-shot 1 1/8 oz 6s. 100% at 35 yards. In the fall of 2006, she killed a hen at 53 paces. Dropped in its tracks.

Never patterned Hevi-shot 4s but she's killed many turkeys and geese on the ground or water with them out to 50yards.

This year, my mentoree used this gun to kill a jake at 15 yards. Scheels supplied her with Hevi-shot triple beard. It pattern great out to thirty-five yards. She shot the gun a total of ten times during practice and only one shot for the Jake.

Good luck but if it were me, I'd try to use Hevi-shot and the factory modified.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Banded1 likes this.
  4. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member