Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Choke Talk ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by soulraiderII, Dec 29, 2003.

1. soulraiderII

soulraiderII Senior Refuge Member

Thinking of buying one of those extended tube ported chokes for my Browing BPS 12ga. I am just worried about putting out $60 for nothing when I could buy more Dekes.

Question one will it really help me to shoot farther out at those long range snow geese?

Two does it really help reduce recoil on those 3 1/2" 'T' shot loads?

Three are they really worth the $60 for one?

Thanks for any and all comments ! ! !

Don

2. Freyguy

Freyguy Elite Refuge Member

Well, I don't think it will help you shoot further or reduce any recoil, but I do think the chokes are worth it. They mainly will only help keep your pattern uniform at a certain range. The porting also helps keep all the pellets in the circle by preventing "stray" pellets to get away. It does this by stripping the wad off the shot as it exits the barrell.

Just my opinion is that the Briley extended non-ported are a great buy for $35. Jim's Ear and Eye sells them with free shipping.

3. S.Christopher

S.Christopher Elite Refuge Member

I use a Pattern Master. And love it. Hated it at first, but once I got used to it. $75 well spent IMO.

Don't be confused, they don't help you shoot farther. And, from what I've found, don't seem to reduce the recoil either.

Now, when I actually get lucky enough to hit a duck.....he's dead!

4. Rockfish

Rockfish Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Pduck on the pattern master. You either hit it or miss it and if you hit it. It's dead. They won't let you shoot farter, but the porting does help reduce the muzzle jump. Which in turn lets you stay an plain when swinging at the birds. Alittle more money, but well worth it. Good luck

5. woodsie

woodsie Elite Refuge Member

I use a briley extended modified. It patterns great.
    I heard that the patternmaster is good, but its extremly loud in a tight blind.
    W.

6. BigLefty

BigLefty Elite Refuge Member

SRII-

go to the gun forum. those guys are talking about chokes all the time. I have the Briley non-ported extended "duck" choke and really like it.

lefty

7. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

They won't let you shoot farter, but the porting does help...

Specially in the blind!:nutz

David

8. HatterWayne

HatterWayne Elite Refuge Member

That's correct, chokes are for patterning only. Todays shotgun powders "MAX BURN ENERGY" at 26" barrel length. Anything after that actually causes friction and tends to SLOW the shot wad down. Also, the only advantage of longer barrel lengths is a better "sighting radius".

:)