Choke tube suggestions for my Baretta 3.5 xtrema

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Refuge Member

Not sure if this should go here or shooting forum but here goes.I am using the oem tube that is modified and when hunting ducks i shoot 3" Kent Fasteel #1 and 2 and with geese 1 and BB.Is there one choke tube that wold work well and give me a little more range.I have not really been sold on the 3.5" shells and they are costly.

We are looking to get back farther from the decoys and the shots will be farther.

What would you recommend and where would you purchase it.

Thanks
    Terry

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

The larger the shot size in steel, the more open the choke. For BBs and 1s, IC is all you need. The problem is the farther you make the shot, the less effective steel shot is and your shotgun shooting deficiencies are exposed rather quickly not to mention getting shot presentations for clean kills diminishes.

I have original Extrema and Extrema 2, primarily LM when shooting 3s, when go to 2s and above I go to IC and it will kill ducks and geese at 40 yards.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

If your trying to stretch it try imp. mod. Shot quite a bit of 3" fasteel 2,s thru my benelli & browning gold and that constriction will hammer them past 40. You better be on inside that though, tight in my guns. Dog appreciates the solid hits though! I prefer Briley chokes but that's because I,ve run a lot of patterns with them in different guns and am always impressed.

4. Easterncanadafowler

I have only ever used the Mod choke and shoot 2-BB with the same mod choke

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

How do your patterns look with the factory Mod?

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/patterning-a-shotgun-concepts.903250/

I know it probably sounds like I am not trying to help, but you have to have a starting point. It is like asking if running premium gas in a vehicle will help it, and someone asks how it is running now. You reply that you haven't driven it yet.
    You also haven't explained what this means...
    Further than what? My dekes are set at 20-30 yards. I/C is all I need.

You should really consider going smaller in shot size. 4's and 3's is all I use, and I shoot a 20. 3's are probably the best 'all around' size, and good easily out to 40 yards. 40 yards is a LONG shot.

Pattern the gun at the ranges you want to hit the birds. Nothing wrong with patterns at 20/30/and 40 yards. Now you know what you are dealing with. Start with the I/C, then the Mod.

6. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Senior Refuge Member

Comp-n-choke thru my berreta's, solid

7. Easterncanadafowler

Ok, Thanks guys, you have given me lots to think about. I think i will try some 3" Kent #3 and pattern it and try different chokes as well.

8. CA Birdman

If you are going to shoot 1s or bigger, go to extended choke tubes.

9. Easterncanadafowler

I this reply "I have original Extrema and Extrema 2, primarily LM when shooting 3s, when go to 2s and above I go to IC and it will kill ducks and geese at 40 yards."

Did you mean IM ?

10. CA Birdman

Nope I shoot Light Modified most of the time and if I need to shoot a little longer I just put in 2 and maybe 1s. My spare choke in my blind bag is an IC. The Xtrema's bore is tight compared to some other shotguns so if you really choke it down tight with big shot, it does not perform as well IMHO.