Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Choke tubes

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Scout_mn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I just bought a new gun and its on its way. I like my mod/ mid range choke tubes for ducks but what choke tube should i get for snow geese? Ill be sitting in decoys with a guide.

2. buddyb01

buddyb01 New Member

It depends on how close the birds will be when the shot is called....You will probably do just fine with factory Mod choke shooting steel 1's and bb's. Load up with 1's for the first shots and bb's for the followup shots. If you have a $100 burning a hole in your pocket, can't go wrong with a Patternmaster extended range choke for long shots but this can also be too tight for close range....Good Luck!

3. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

A mod with steel is pretty tight, I think are safe with that one if birds don't finish, but if they do and you are shooting snows at 20 yards and under, IC or skeet is my choice.

I can't remember the guy in CA, but look at his youtube videos of snows decoying in perfect. He was shooting shot 1/2 out of skeet choke. And on one of my fog e-caller hunts last year, I'd of gladly shot them out of a cyl tube.

I like trulock choke tubes.

4. buddyb01

buddyb01 New Member

I do agree with Drundel, IC is best IF you can get them close. Start out with IC, if they are not finishing change to Mod.

5. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

Thank you. I got a modified Carlson choke on order, This is what i like for duck hunting. Was debating a full choke but looks like i don't need a full for snows.

6. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Senior Refuge Member

My experience with snows is in Arkansas rice fields and longer shots are typically the norm, I shoot a 10ga BPS with BBs or BBBs with a pattern master choke. Works pretty good for me.

7. DaPutts

DaPutts Senior Refuge Member

Rob Roberts T3. Stone colds whiteys, period.

Boot and leftyhunter like this.
  8. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Probably my video. Trulock precision hunter sk1 choke, in all my videos. Camera distorts view. Most birds killed under 30 metres, a few up to 40 yds.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I get better patterns with my open chokes with BB or #1 shot. Too tight can blow your patterns up.

leftyhunter and spaightlabs like this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

IC for me. 3" 1 1/4oz #1,2,or3s. Hardly ever call the shot if they are farther than 25yds unless they are just floating straight above then I might go to 35 yds.

leftyhunter likes this.