Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Choke tubes

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Scout_mn, Jan 5, 2017.

1. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Just a thought, but you might just pattern your gun with the factory chokes and whatever load you are going to run through it before you buy a choke that might not perform as well as what you are gonna get with the gun?

I get it - I played the aftermarket choke game for a long time, but in the end, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

leftyhunter and hyper23 like this.
  2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

The most open choke that came with my gun was an IC choke, and I found that way too tight the first couple times I tried it, so I bit the bullet and went to an aftermarket choke . For the money, I consider it a great value.

leftyhunter likes this.
  3. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Cool video ! Bang you can shoot bud!

4. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Yep, that's it.

For choke reference. Look at my videos here, I was missing teal at 10-15 yards shooting #6 out of a cylinder choke. That's how tight steel shoots.

leftyhunter likes this.
  5. bang you'r dead

When I slow the video down, I think I can actually see your shot in the 2nd and 3rd shots. On the second bird, it looks like the shot is in front and left of the bird, and on the third , you are in front as well. Too much lead with a tight pattern. I honestly would have pulled the trigger at identical times, and would have expected three birds to drop. Perhaps they were just too close. Let them get out and let your pattern work for you, not against you.

Too close and too much lead is not most people's problems.

In my video right around the 3:00 mark, you will notice I whiff on the same sort of birds, tight in at about 10-15 yds. I got mad at myself and luckily they circled around and I got them on the next pass. I do things right at about 6:30 on the video. I have some birds working , and one comes in and is inside 15 yds and closing, so I take the farther bird first, then take the closer bird as it back pedals out, and take a high overhead and a pair of left and right crossers on a couple of quick single loads (probably my favorite shooting sequence this year).

Don't beat yourself up on a couple of close misses. I've been guilty of missing more than one triple as well. Something that I was wondering, with the Shotkam, do you add the "dot" onto the screen during an editing process, or is it there on the video itself, and can you calibrate the point of impact to that point? My concern here is that if you had an improper gun mount and had the gun a little low, will the "dot" show on the video that you may be shooting a little over the bird? Sorry for all the questions, but enquiring minds want to know.....

I do like the video, regardless of the birds flying away. The shotkam would be great for seeing those 30-40 yd shots in detail, kind of the anti-GoPro.

leftyhunter likes this.
  6. bang you'r dead

I watched a few of your other videos on youtube and it appeared that the pattern on a lot of them was above the dot, again I don't know it that is an editing thing or if you can modify it on the camera. Enjoyed the videos.l I did notice that you do shoot the odd duck at close range. That merganser you shot looked like a pillow exploded. (Shot 001)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  7. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

The dot in built into the camera and you can move it around. You can change the reticle to a few different ones and I tried to put the dot below the POI so the rising view from the camera captures the birds.
    I was really hoping for some good crane decoying action, but so far its not looking good. Hopefully I'll get a few good e-caller hunts in and I might pay for a pigeon hunt here before too long and should have some good footage.

8. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

I like the after market carlson choke tube that works better with black cloud. I do a ton of diver hunting and use black cloud for them. Im just glad i dont have to pay to get the full choke just for snow goose hunting.

Why i started used after market chokes was my last gun didnt come with any chokes so i had to buy them all.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  9. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Wad Wizard Supreme Choke Tube, you can't go wrong

10. bang you'r dead

Curious, what kind of distances are you shooting your birds at?